OT: Sleeving water mains question

In our street the water board are currently lining the iron water mains. Apparently it involves some sort of plastic liner and resin.

What I'm curious about is how they can do this without reconnecting all the individual branches to our houses. Why doesn't the sleeving process block all the branches?

Anyone know how it's done?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

No! However when they did the main serving my house black sludge was pumped into my house water pipes and Wessex Water had to replace all the taps, shower heads and cold water tank as well as flushing out the entire system. They did pay me £250 in compensationa s well.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I did see a programme a few years ago about lining sewers. There they fastened one end to a frame and started feeding the liner through itself into a manhole, using water to inflate it and continue pushing it along, unrolling through itself until the sewer was lined. Then they heated the water to harden the liner. Finally they sent a robot along to cut out all the inlets.

It could be something similar to that?

SteveW

Steve Walker

Turns out "relining" isn't really what they were doing. It seems that = after opening up the main, it gets a bit of a rodding out and then a = coating is sprayed inside the empty main. As the spray head only passes = down the main and it's just coating the surface, branches don't get = blocked off. =20

Still raises the question what kind of spray coating will stick to a wet = pipe. Didn't see any evidence of anything to dry the main out with. No = compressors or anything.

Anyhow, water on again and very little dirt has come through so all = well.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

That is what they do