OT poll: wooden cars

hahaha

Thought some of the more 'handy' amongst us might enjoy the woodwork involved:

JohnZhang

NT

Reply to
meow2222

For a real car made largely of wood try Marcos. Of course most older coach built ones had a wood frame to the body.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any advances on the Morris Minor Traveller being the last *mass produced* car that had structural wood?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Depends on what you mean by 'production'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, the Morris Mini Traveller which was after the Minor

Reply to
the_constructor

Colin Wilson

Wrong, on both accounts! The Mini [Traveller] never had structural wood [1] and the Minor Traveller remained in production long after the marketing mans fake structural wood option was drooped from the Mini range.

[1] the wood was just screwed to the standard steel body shell
Reply to
:Jerry:

The message from "the_constructor" contains these words:

Wasn't that wood just cosmetic?

Reply to
Roger

Probably given the Mini Traveller has the same basic body as the van. The Minor Traveller and van were very different - the van had what was effectively a separate chassis.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Africar.

doesn't qualify in the mass-produced, or even produced, categories but lots of woodies there for enthusiasts.

Reply to
Aidan

No. The wood on Travellers is structural.

Reply to
Huge

On the Morris Minor Traveller - Yes, in the Morris Mini Traveller - No. The Mini Traveller has / had the same shell as the Mini Estate.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I don't think it is. The body shell is based on the van which has no wood.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm pretty sure it is. We owned a saloon for years and I still wouldn't mind a Traveller, if the mechanicals were updated.

Have a look here;

like the rear wings, side panels, doors, windows and roof are all supported by the timber frame... Looks pretty structural to me!

I quite fancy one of these;

Huge

:Jerry: