More about the US census

For 100 years, Census Day has been April 1.

For the 2010 census, a new section was added to the Overview page, Key

2010 Census Dates. The other years don't have this, but at least I know that for 2010

"April 1, 2010 - Census Day. Households are asked to supply data in their census questionnaire that is accurate as of April 1.

April 30, 2010 - Enumerators begin door-to-door operations to collect census data from households to follow up with households that either didn't mail back their form or didn't receive one.

July 30, 2010 - The toll-free telephone assistance line is closed, ending 2010 census data collection. More than 130,000 interviews were completed via the toll-free line."

So that's 3 complete months, during which time there were doorknockers . Does anyone know how long it was this year. It prob

As to the completion date, I read under Herman Hollerith that the 1880 census counting was completed in 1887. So there is no need to be done by January 2021.

Census day in every year back to 1930 was April 1 In 1920 it was Jan 1, of all things. In 1910 it was April 15 In 1900 it iwas June 1

The url above goes back to 1790 but I don't have time to read everything now.

Reply to
micky

Not clear from that enumerators were out there for the three full months. This year from what I can tell it was two months, maybe a little less, starting in early August, ending early Oct. It probably varied a bit by region of the country. But the real issue here is what percentage was completed this year versus previous years and if it's substantially different, does it make any difference in the result. They will never get to 100%, there will always be a few percent left. That is then filled in using estimates and models based on the 97% or whatever they have. So if one year they get to 98%, while another year they get to 96%, not clear that it really matters. At some point, people that refuse to cooperate or where contact can't be made, where somone can't be found to provide the data, another month of pounding on the door isn't going to change the result.

Reply to
trader_4

True, not clear from that but it might have been the full 3 months. I remember that they would start hiring and training 4 or 6 months in advance. This year, my friend... I have to ask her again. She also applied to be a contact tracer for Covid. She took online training for one or both of them and then didn't hear back for a long time, but anyhow, the question is, when it says in 2010 "Enumerators begin door-to-door operations to collect census data" were they really out there going to people's doors on the last day of April.

I hate to say it but I was depressed and hadn't returned my census form and somoene called me, someone I knew. If I could remember who it was, I could and would call him for more details, but I can't remember. Other than that, I don't know how to find more about this.

I agree with all of this, and I don't expect the census to be 100%.

They are saying that they've been to 99% of all the residences in Maryland, but they did that partly by loosening standards on what is visiting a home. Used to be, on I forget, the second or third trip, the doorknocker could talk to neighbors and if they said how many were living there (even if they were occasinally wrong) it counted as a visit. They weakened that to allow it on the first visit. (My friend went to some places 3 times before finding a resident who was home and answsed the door, but she's very diligent. She also liked the job, at least sometimes, from the interesting places she got to go. One was a house built in the 1800's for the visit by some German king or something.)

Even though she lives there, she saw a lot of streets she hadn't seen. OTOH, if I did it, I think t hey would assign me around here and I've been down almost every street already.

But I digress:

What I don't want isn't for it to be 100% but for it not to favor Republican areas at the direction of a Republican. I cetainly didn't suspect H.W.Bush of doing that, as we all know, stumpie has shown plenty of signs of trying to corrupt the Census. (For others, originnally in June or so it was the census bureau, his own appointee I suspect, who wanted it extended that month. Then something made them change their mind. Maybe someone from a state that was going lose a Repuiblican district pointed out to them how they could increase Republican representation by shortening the

No one pounds on one door for a month.

Whether it will change depends on how thoroughly they've done it already. Have they really been back 2 more times? That WAS the standard.

I think they probably doorknocked for 3 full months in 2010, but we still don't know how long it was in 2020.

On the Census site above. Hollerith invented the Hollerith card, the precursor of what was it called, an IBM card? a rectangle with a corner missing and little rectangualr punch holes. He got the idea from paper crds that controlled looms as ealy as 1801, that enabled them to make complicated patterns in cloth. He started at the Census Bureau, but later started the company that after he left became IBM.

Hollerith (1860-1929): Hollerith worked briefly for the Census Office in the run-up to the 1880 census. This experience, along with some advice from mentor John Shaw Billings, convinced him that the Census Office desperately needed a better way to tabulate census data than hand counting. Hollerith was able to invent a device that did just that: an electric tabulating machine.....

Competition Following the 1880 census, the Census Bureau was collecting more data than it could tabulate. As a result, the agency held a competition in

1888 to find a more efficient method to process and tabulate data. Contestants were asked to process 1880 census data from four areas in St Louis, MO. Whoever captured and processed the data fastest would win a contract for the 1890 census.....
Reply to
micky

No, because of Covid it started around early August. But why do they have to have started in April?

I suspect what that said is that 99% is complete, meaning they have census data for 99%.

but they did that partly by loosening standards on what is

All that is wrong, AFAIK there is no change in how the census data is recorded. It's always been that after some number of attempts at an address if they can't be contacted, then they use proxies, ie a neighbor or landlord. That's mostly because some people just refuse all attempts, which is why they just didn't do it online or via mail.

There were two issues there. One was ending it early and I agree, that looked like Trump figuring that illegal aliens and the like would be more resistant to being counted, so ending it early would count less of them. But the census has been completed now to a high enough extent that this no longer is a significant issue.

The other is Trump wants to exclude illegals from the count. I think he's right on that, it's not what the framers would have intended. On the other hand the Constitution says all people, and I don't think Trump is likely to prevail in the courts. That is one of of those conservative things, ruling on what the Constitution says, the letter of the law. If there were some contemporary discussion at the time showing otherwise, I would be persuaded. But there isn't, because at the time the US was not being flooded with illegals.

Reply to
trader_4

What is the time stamp on that lie? It;s not Oct 15 when the census field count ended, liar. Nice job further discrediting the lying libs and giving Trump a boost! The four out of ten has to be back in the very beginning, before census field work was beginning or right as it started. Why do you stupid libs lie just like Trump?

=
Reply to
trader_4

Again, lib lunacy. None of that equates to inaccuracy. The census was COMPLETED to what, 97%? You liars want to make it sound like it;s 30%. Keep helping Trump get re-elected.

Reply to
trader_4

I see, but you posted it here now as if it was current, then you complain about Trump lying, go figure. Nice job, lying Bob!

Reply to
trader_4

I'm talking about 2010 here. You suggested "above" they weren't ready to go on the first day.

Question of fact about 2010.

In Maryland I believe they said what I said.

No, it's not wrong. The number of required visits has been lowered.

No. They often have sucess on later visits when they don't on the first or on the 2nd.

It's been completed to a high enough extent when they spend as much time doorknocking as they did in the past, unless one can show a convincing reason why less doorknocking is not needed. And I must have mentined in this thread or the other how even in 10, maybe 20 or moe of the days the census bureau says they were working, they were winding down instead, more than once. Before Sept 30 and the entire 15 days of Octobter. and those days count only partially,

Not only that, none of the census questions say who is an alien and who is not, who is illegal and who is not. They have an emergency hearing before the USSC to get permission to exclude illegals but they have no bovious way to know who they are, and if, IF, there is an indirect way it will take a long time and will be inaccrate. I hope the SC justices ridicule the admin lawyer or his client, but they probably won't

AIUI at the time, no one was in the country illegally. There were no rules against entering, no Ellis Island, no Castle Clinton (well there was, but it was a defense implacemnet, not immigration). Some of the news stories say that we haven't excluded illegals for 220 years, and I'm pretty sure they're sincere when they say that, but none existed for about a century. Maybe the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 created the first ones, assuming some excluded Chinese managed to get in anyhow. Was there anything earlier?

No, 1875, "Building on the 1875 Page Act, which banned Chinese women from immigrating to the United States," assuming some Chinese women got in anyhow, and some probably did.

But someone else writes "The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 was the first significant law restricting immigration into the United States." so manybe the rule against women didn't apply much. After all, it's usually men who travel looking for work.

Mickey

Reply to
micky

Even if Bob and I and all the liberals are wrong about the census, it doesn't help stumpie get re-elected. Do you think his voters or the undecided worry about the census?

Reply to
micky

It's not necessary to give support for what I said, because I'm sure every one believes me, but I came across it in my reading.

While sometimes some people from the Census talked about 99% complete, at other times, including the case I described in Md, in other cases they talked about boing to 99% of the residences. As here:

By Mike Schneider?|?AP September 21, 2020 at 10:40 a.m. EDT

'So far, more than 95% of households had been counted. The Census Bureau has a goal of reaching 99% of households.

The bureau doesn?t have a plan if it doesn?t reach that 99% goal, the Inspector General report said, and the sped-up data processing plan after field operations end ?poses a myriad of risks to accuracy and completeness.?'

One of the two hearings on this matter was in Maryland, the other in San Jose, Cal.

Reply to
micky

Not only that, his excerpt contains "With 95 days until the Census Bureau plans to stop tallying the country's residents at the end of October". Anyone who knows the calendar should be able to figure out when it was written (about June 26). Anyone who doesn't know the calendar should be able to figure out it was written 95 days before the census was scheduled to end. No lying involved.

Reply to
micky

Not only that, his excerpt contains "With 95 days until the Census Bureau plans to stop tallying the country's residents at the end of October". Anyone who knows the calendar should be able to figure out when it was written (about JULY JULY JULY 26).

Anyone who doesn't know the calendar should be able to figure out it was written 95 days before the census was scheduled to end. No lying involved.

Reply to
micky

I don't see anyone except you few worried about the census. Months ago, when it seemed like it might not be able to be completed by the date that team Trump accelerated by a month, there was some concern. But even then the Democrats in Congress didn't really try to do much about it. And now from what I've seen it looks like it has been completed to about the same conclusion as previous censuses.

Reply to
trader_4

They would have started around that time this year, but it was put off because of Covid.

You have a cite for that?

It's ridiculous to base completion success on the number of door knocking attempts as opposed to the completion numbers. Ahd it;s not just door knocking, the census has sent mailer after mailer to the the addresses that have not responded.

unless one can show a convincing

It's all irrelevant. What is relevant is what percent COMPLETION they achieved this year versus previous years and from what I've seen, it looks about the same. Also factor in that Covid made this year much harder, so a number even close to prior years is a tremendous success. And you don't need 100%, like in all years, they then use statistical modeling to fill in what's missing because people will not comply.

You're right, Trump lost that battle, but it should. Why is it important we know if a son is adopted or biological, if you feel your ancestory is from Spain or Brazil, but not if someone is here on a visa, illegally or a citizen?

They have an emergency hearing

Well, that's a good point. I know that's going on but haven't paid any attention to it. But you're right, it sure looks like a moot point now to me, IDK why the courts are even still hearing it.

AFAIK we haven't excluded illegals or anyone from the count because the Constitution says to count people, with no regard to status.

Reply to
trader_4

Then WTF is some old shit, the completion rate, dating way back to June when the census field work had not even STARTED, doing here in a discussion of how the census just ended, with regard to what percent was complete? If Trump threw out some crap like that, why you'd be all over it for the BS it is.

Reply to
trader_4

Bob F is not the president and he doesn't have a white house staff and a press office and a department of commerce to make sure what Bob F says is correct. He is a volunteer working on his own time with a staff of one, and if he makes a mistake it's no big deal. When the so-called president makes a mistake it's usually a lie.

Reply to
micky

Loads of people are worried. You've been reasonable for a week or two and tonight so far I see you called two people stupid and you gave this silly reply and another one to Bob F. maybe you should see an endicronologist.

Didn't they? I don't know. There are hundreds of bills passed by the House that are beilng ignored at the Senate. This might be one of them. There are too many to know all of them. Or they didn't for some other reason.

You don't have enough information. If you do, you haven't shared it, and I'm sure you don't, partly because you have refused to believe what I've told you from what a doorknocker has told me. One who gets emails from the Bureau, data loaded to the phone they gave her, adn phone conversations with her supervisor.

Reply to
micky

I know that.

No. But it's what I read from a reliable source. If I have the money in my budget, I'll have my staff prepare a report on this.

In just about every other department or bureau under trump when they change the rules you correctly presume they are doing something crooked for trump's partison or pecuniary advantage. Now all of a sudden you trust the Census wouldn't do that!

Do you have a source for that? And how does that differ from prior censuses.

They have redefined what completion is. How many times do I have to say that. I'm not reading any further. You've been reasonable for a week or two and now you're back to your querulous, quarrelsome self.

Micky

Reply to
micky

Maybe you should figure out the facts instead of just starting to whine? WTF is wrong with this census? Show us the substantial difference in the percentage complete of this versus previous censuses.

They could have put it into any bill of substance that had to be passed, eg federal funding.

You're the one here bitching, that the census wasn't completed adequately, not me. I'd have expected you'd have the data before you started, now you want me to go find it for you?

Anecdotal evidence from one enumerator, which is the correct term, isn't particularly compelling. And was that enumerator doing the job last census too? IS she sure she remembers what was done back then? Is she a diehard Democrat like you?

Reply to
trader_4

So show us this reliable source and let us read what the actually claimed.

If I have the money

I said that when the census was shortened by a month, there was reason for concern and it looked like the reason was political. But the freaking census was done and completed to just about the same extent as in previous years. Instead of starting with that fact, you want to ignore it and pretend otherwise.

Our first look at the data collection operation indicates an extremely successful execution. We published our total response rates on a daily basis, and they show that we accounted for 99.9% of all addresses in the nation.

All states, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, achieved total response rates over 99.0%. All but one state was at or above 99.9%. The state of Louisiana and our field staff who worked hard to complete Nonresponse Followup operations deserve our congratulations and thanks for getting the total response rate over 99.0% complete even with the devastating effects of hurricanes Laura and Delta."

And about this, you're complaining? Good grief.

.> >

How many times do I have to ask for your cite for that? Your source is one neighbor who claims that they went to using proxies sooner this census. Some source. One enumerator in a country with 500K. Was this enumerator doing the same work, in the same area, ten years ago? Is her memory any better than yours, is she a partisan Democrat?

I'm not reading any further.

There's a big part of your problem and why you get lost down rat holes and then get mad.

You've been reasonable for a week or

Yeah, imagine that, me pointing out that you're bitching, without facts, about a census that was completed to 99+%, trying desperately to blame Trump for something, anything. It sounded much better when Bob was claiming it was only 40% done. ROFL.

Reply to
trader_4