OT, sort of: Printer toner

I got four new Office World toner carts from Amazon for my HL-2240 Brother printer for $32.39 yesterday! I can't understand how they can sell them so cheaply. Hope they work! Haven't needed one yet. Toner light on but it still is prnting OK.

Anyone tried these or other inexpensive carts?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

My local computer store carries Ican as their off-brand toner - - the ones for my Brother HL-3140CW printer are about 1/3 the cost of the Brother branded - and seem to work fine. I don't print very much and nothing too demanding - but I sure like this colour laser option over the previous ink-jet printers. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I use the printer about twice a year and the cheap Lexmark ink jets never worked. Sometimes I could fix it by cleaning the heads with ammonia. Finally I saw a Samsung color laser on sale for $100 and snapped it up. That was probably 10 years ago and it works when I need it. I've never replaced the toner cartridges although I need to figure out how to clean the drum since it ghosts the previous page.

Reply to
rbowman

Sounds more like a transfer corona problem but a good cleaning should fix it

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a huge Canon laser printer I bought cheap at a thrift shop. The OEM cartridge was about $90, the no name about $20 on Amazon, so I took a chance; it works fine.

Reply to
TimR

Be very careful when transfering the corona. It has about a 1% fatality rate.

Reply to
micky

I am not sure I like the tone(r) of your sarcasm.

Reply to
gfretwell

Back in the old days I could re-ink my HP black and white cartridge then they redesigned them to make it difficult. Then I bought re-inked but HP apparently has added a chip to them to keep them from working. PITA and if I ever need a new printer, it will not be an HP.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

HP did several things to the ink cartridges to keep them from working. I am thinking they even put some kind of date code chip in them so if so old even if full of ink they would not work.

I gave up on them years ago. As I do not do much printing and it is all with black ink, I switched to the laser printer . Those toner cartrages do not seem to go bad when old. The one I have prints fast and will do both sides of the paper automatically. Had it for a good number of years and it only cost a little more than the ink printers.

I will probably buy a color laser if this one craps out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I do little printing myself but between the wife and I have 4 HP printers. She does a lot of printing. I need color now and then.

I have heard of the Epson Ecotank printers that maybe cost at least 2X as much as the HP's but come with enough ink for 3 years and are cheap to refill.

I mentioned before that HP is like the old Eastman Kodak. I met a couple of film researchers from Eastman that told me they made nothing off their cameras but raked in the cash on film sales.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've heard that too. I've heard that it may be necessary after a long time to take one out and turn it upside down or roll it around because the toner gets stuck together someone.

Since I'm herar, I have a Brother inkjat printer and a different brand t oo and I"ve been buying cheap amazon cartidges that work fine. I'd heard they were all chpped but maybe I misunderstood.

Reply to
micky

Same as the old Gillette safety razor strategy-- just about give away the razors, then hammer you on the blades. That worked fine until other companies starting making blades and under-pricing the Gillettes.

Then of course there's Microsoft's including Internet Explorer in Windows which drove a stake into Netscape Navigator and their aggressive bundling of Word,largely killing off WordPerfect- a much superior word processor at the time....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If you need black and white I think the laser printer is the way to go. They're reasonable cost and the toner cartridges seem to last forever in home use.

If you need color you're at the mercy of the ink jet. Once the kids were out of school and didn't need color for projects I went B&W only. Every couple years I need color and I take a thumb drive to Staples or Office Max. Probably could email it to Walmart too, I haven't tried.

Reply to
TimR

After ~ 3 years, I still have the original colour toner cartridges in my Brother. Replaced the black once, at ~ $ 25. note - zero photo printing - just the occasional map or advert or sketch in colour. All else is black usually in toner-saving mode. My ink-jet usage was about 1 black & 1 tri colour per year - about $ 100. even with re-furbs ! so I think I'm ahead using colour laser. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My color laser printer does as good a job as an inkjet. I believe the colors don'''t run if the paper gets wet either.

Reply to
rbowman

I have an HP laser but have not even unpacked it since we moved 2 years ago. I have an HP inkjet too. No cables as it is on wifi, crisp printing, does both sides of the paper, makes copies, can scan to pdf or jpg files. I can even email a print job to it. Prints a decent photo too.

I'll probably end up giving away the laser printer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski