OT - petrol in diesel car

Because they would have to make different shaped cars too.

I believe the industry is tackling this problem - all they have to do is agree.

Flop

Reply to
Flop

A coach driver once told me that, coming back from France, he was desperate to fill up because of the price difference but was near final embarkation time for the ferry.

In a hurry, he started pumping petrol in before the garage owner stopped him. He filled to the brim with diesel.

On the ferry other drivers said it was fine so long as it didnt produce too much black smoke.

So he asked one of the passengers at the rear to watch the exhaust and let him know if there was black smoke.

"ANY BLACK SMOKE?"....."NO"

"ANY BLACK SMOKE?"....."NO"

"ANY BLACK SMOKE?"....."NO"

Fine up to London and half way up the M11, when he decided to vary the question:

"Is there anything coming out of the exhaust? "Um, a six-foot flame"

A good story - will not guarantee the veracity of it though.

Flop

Reply to
Flop

I did this with my Rover 75 (53 reg) when it was about 6 weeks old! On advice from various sources, inc AA, filled with diesel and drove it gently. Kept topping up with diesel whenever possible. No noticable short or long term problems. David.

Reply to
DavidM

In message , Roger Mills writes

Would seem to be, saw one last week in Cheshire.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

It does ; the first (or was it second) time that my second car was stolen, the little bastards did something to the carburetor which made it over-rev, over-heat and "diesel" quite easily when it was running hot. A friend who knows much more about engines than me (probably stolen more cars than me !) came round and provided the appropriate tweak to some screw on the bottom of the carb ,and the problem went away. It still took me ages to get the timing sorted out ; they'd done something to the spark gap, and generally thoroughly deserved a smack in the teeth with a lump hammer.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

So he'll flood it and it won't start. Keep cranking and it'll get there in the end.

10% petrol in diesel is nothing - that's just cold-weather mix in central Europe.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Andy Dingley

He said that he's already flattened the battery once doing this.

He'll end up needing a new battery if he does it too often. (Though this is at the cheap end of the alternatives for this problem)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Fill a diesel with petrol "too often" and you deserve to walk.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No he didn't. There's a subtle difference between cranking until the battery is flat and not being able to crank more than 4 times because the battery was already flat.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Close, this one was from a FV439