OT. Unleaded v Super Unleaded

What is the effective difference?

Reading the pump info:

Super Unleaded is 99 octane Unleaded is 95 octane and a few pence cheaper.

mark

Reply to
Mark

For your average modern motor doing the commute or shopping trip you say it yourself "a few pence cheaper".

Now if you are boy racer or some one with a high performance car who wants to use every ounce of that performance and with money to burn use Super Unleaded.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

use 'better fuel' if your car can cope. Many stations sell 'high performance fuels' yet there's little or no performance difference for most non-performance cars; so only fill up with the super-fuels if you've a sports-type car that you've been specifically advised will actually utilise the petrol correctly.

[george]
Reply to
dicegeorge

It allows your to run your turbo at higher boost. If you haven't a turbo, it's almost certainly not worth it - only exotic NA engines need the stuff. What is your car? (If it's a bike, I can't help you)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

A clapped out P406 estate. I'll stick to the basic brew.

mark

Reply to
Mark

There are very few modern cars that will benefit from the higher octane stuff. Some older ones - designed for 4 star - will.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My wife's Ignis Sport manual advised that only fuel rated 98 octane or better was to be used. It specifically said Optimax but later we used V-Power and sometimes BP Ultimate. On the odd occasion we did have to use the 'regular' super unleaded.

Reply to
Gary

I have just tried that and my diesel Berligo will now not start :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"Fill up at night, but don't overfill. Petrol pumps are calibrated by volume, so fill up at night when it's cold and you get a miniscule bit extra."

Pants. The temperature even a few feet underground is stable. And a mass as big as the fuel in the tanks is unlikely to change temperature much during the day even in direct sunlight.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Even when stored above ground and carried in tanker for a couple of hours? I agree once underground and stabilised there isn't going to be much variation but straight after a delivery mid summer?

Mind you what is the coefficient of expansion of petrol?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice