OT- newsgroup server-who do you use?

Are there any free newsgroup servers still available? I currently use "usenetmonster" but I have to pay for it and I do not use any of it's other services so it's a bit of a waste of money.

I use thunderbird as a mail tool and news reader. Are there any free servers left?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Ashnook.

Try news.motzarella.org

Switched there from the German lot last month (due to grief with paying them their ten euro!) - and... so far... can thoroughly recommend motz

Adrian

Reply to
adrian

I totally agree with Adrian's post, also changed end of last month. In addition I find it much quicker to download.

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

By contrast, I went the other way a while back, due to utter unreliability on the part of the cheesy server - you'd send a post, it'd take forever to be acknowledged by the client as having been sent - then it'd post multiple times.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmm, it wasn't just me, then!

So far I've found motz a little bit sluggish compared to NiN, but it seems to be working well enough - I think I've had a couple of times where it's refused to post something (server busy), but other than that... no real complaints.

Of course we should be saying that motz is total crap, as the more people that switch to it, the more likely it is to keel over ;)

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules

news.aioe.org news.sunsite.dk

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've always found news.individual.net extremely fast - and have not had a problem with clickandbuy - yet. I have however cancelled the continuous subscription via them and plan to pay by PayPal in the future.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did the same change a few months back. Occasionally cannot connect for a few minutes but rare.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Ive just transferred to news.albasani.net

So far its brilliant for the few text groups I use.

No binaries, but who needs em anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had some issue with click and buy, related to the credit card expiring, which meant I didn't renew NIN for a while.

Did eventually when I realised that you pay via Paypal and I moved ISP's.

I've no idea about the speeds of the servers anyway as my news gets downloaded every 15 minutes through the day automatically. But I've always found NIN good.

I've tried a few free ones, but always found something unsatisfactory after a while with all of the ones I tried. I'd rather pay a modicum for a reliable service.

As an alternative to NIN is a sub to one of the other commercial services, primarily aimed at those downloading binaries. some do non-time limited fixed amount packages. Eg Astraweb or Usenet-news.

A 10 GB block with Usenet-new would cost US$5, and would last for who know how many years for a text only user

Reply to
chris French

Thanks for your inputs, I am trying news.motzatrella.com for now.

The Natural Philos>> Are there any free newsgroup servers still available? I currently use

Reply to
aswell13

So its your extra load which is causing the odd problem today is it ;-)

Reply to
Invisible Man

plus my 107 friends I recommended it too....

I admit there is the odd c> aswell13 wrote:

Reply to
aswell13