OT: Newish house problem

But don't you constantly criticise house builders in the UK for cost cutting?

So now you'll explain how any house builder would cost cut by fitting a storage system?

No? So nothing new there, then.

But you're a fool. Who would do what you would?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

< snip babble>

Not worth reading

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

This boasted he saved money by not servicing a boiler for 10 years, and thinks we should all do that. Boy oh boy!!!!

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Not worth reading

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

And what sort of money saving do you think your scheme would return? Rip out a perfectly good

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

It is not a matter of payback on one boiler. He is going to pay £350 anyhow to stand still with an antiquated system. Irrespective of whether it is 3 years old it is still antiquated. His boiler may not be a condensing boiler. If he has a one bathroom and ensuite shower, he could replace the boiler with a high flowrate condensing combi boiler, the Alpha CB50 comes to mind. That means nothing in the loft and no cylinder in the airing cupboard. He gains all the way: condensing boiler, powershowers with no noisy pump, always hot water on demand, valuable space liberated. No leaks to drip through ceilings an ruin decorations. The cost of power shower and replacing the tank goes a long way to buying new capable combi.

Because something is new doesn't mean you have to keep it, just because it is newish. It is doesn't deliver the functions then get rid.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

So if a system doesn't provide mains pressure hot water then it is antiquated? And I suppose if the mains flow isn't sufficient, you're going to suggest that he has that upgraded as well? But all this presupposes that he has to spend £350 on a replacement tank with no chance of getting the money back. Which is what his original question was about. Strange how with you everything always comes back to changing the hot water system to fit your preception of ideal. Do you ever interact in a meaningful way with the real world, or just gaze at it through the bars on the window of your padded cell?

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Yup. Over 1000 quid compared to a service contract. And the boiler's still working perfectly after 25 years.

I don't offer 'one size fits all' solutions like you. I think about individual problems and their solutions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know you just leave a boiler until it soot's up and is dangerous.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

RS boilers don't become dangerous when sooted up. Don't you know even the basics?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To get back to the subject, if it's a tank in a new build, access should be easy enough? First thing to do would be to examine it carefully to see if you could determine where the leak is coming from. Might just need something tightening.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is clear Richard here has no idea whatsoever. Richard, if you want to leave your boiler in a state that may kill you, that is fine, I'm sure many will welcome your death. But don't give advise on matters you know nothing about, as others may die too.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Never seems to have stopped you. What do you do for a living, John? Plainly nothing connected with heating systems.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Richard is at it again

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Look f@ckwit, which kind of idiot is going to;-

1) Replace a 3 year old system because of a leak and a drivelling morons recommendation? 2) Run enough hot water around any instantaneous system in the summer to "run" and airing cupboard?

Don't bother replying _KILL FILE_.

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

It is clear youn have no brains, so ... He could spend about £800-900 on a new cold tank and a pathetic power showers pumps and still have an antiquated system with lost of noise..

The return from the boiler can be used that heats a heat bank, and... A secondary circulation loop can be fitted on a combi that runs around the airing cupboard.

It is nice putting jolly know-nothing-amateurs in their place.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

What did they decide? Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Haven't asked him - he's been off work with other problems...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm, i'd like to move my tank, which is slap bang in the middle of the loft, which is a PITA for storage porpoises.

However, i'm loath to do so as surely there's additional bracing underneath the tank location so the ceiling will support it in that area ?

Has anyone who has moved their tank or done a loft conversion put in additional bracing, or is the roof sufficiently braced, and the tank loading spread ok, so as to let you move it to pretty much wherever you want ?

What about planning permission ? Necessary ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy