OT: Newish house problem

A colleague bought a house on a new estate (from new) 2 years and 8 months ago. The main water tank is leaking, and needs replacement (quoted price 350 quid). The builder says he won't replace it as it's outside some '2 year period'.

He says he's been told that NHBC doesn't cover this (I guess it's structure only?), but what are opinions of him getting this paid for (eventually) by the builder? Or should he argue it out now and hope they fix it soon?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Two things.

One, it won't cost £350 if he DIYs it.

Two, if there is still building and new houses for sale, speak to a few prospective buyers in the show house. Make sure the sales rep knows ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I find it hard to believe a header tank could have fractured unless damaged on installation - and this would take some doing. Or at least for it not to have shown up until now. Sure it's not just leaking at an outlet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tell him to fit a combi and them no tank ever to leak again.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Fit two, and then there's even less chance.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Excellent thinking.

to open account

Reply to
http://tinyurl.com/7y8y4

That will be correct.

Very little chance.

I doubt the actual tank is leaking. Far more likely to be one of the connections to the tank. I bet the plumber who quoted for replacement will be able to find one that looks *identical*. Might be an idea to get a second opinion. If I am wrong, then you could try asking the manufacturer of the tank to look at it - it would seem reasonable to expect a water tank to last more than three years. If they say it hasn't been installed properly then you have a better chance of "persuading" the builder to fix it.

The only real chance is if they are still building on site. Just wait by the sales office until some customers are coming back from viewing a house and are about to put down a reservation deposit, then "pop in" to say that the water tank is still leaking and no-one from the builders has even come round yet. Mutter stuff about NHBC warranty not being worth the paper it's written on (true in the large part). That sometimes works.

HTH, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In new house the tank is installed by the roofers. It is put in place on the plinth when the trusses are installed. Then the ceilings are installed below. The tank cannot get through the hatch. If it is the cold water tank then only a coffin tank can get through the hatch, which is long and thin and probably require mores support than the original square tank. The existing tank cut and taken away.

I would assess using a heat bank/thermal store that can be pulled through the hatch, eliminating a cold tank, giving instant hot water, high prerssure showers and liberating an airing cupboard. It is easy to fit as all the pipes are in the airing cupboard. This will bring the system uop to date. Cold tanks in lofts is yesterdays technology

Another option is replace the existing boiler with a high flowrate combi, assuming an easy change and it fits in the same cupboard.

to open account

Reply to
http://tinyurl.com/7y8y4

My plumber got a massive plastic tank through quite a small loft hatch. These replacement tanks fold up somehow. The old galvanised tank was simply left up there.

MM

Reply to
MM

He would say that.

It's unlikely to be a fault with the tank. Much more probably a defect in installation (e.g., a similar real example, a tank installed without a purpose-made lid; the tank which was contaminated with loft insulation and filth. The tank had distorted and a lid wouldn't have fitted even if one could be found).

If it is something like this, then it is negligence. Liability for negligence is 15 years or 5 years from the date of discovery of the negligent thing. There's a UK-legal group, i think, ask there. If so, the Builder is still liable.

He will try to dodge liability. The options are get it fixed and issue a county court summons for the costs, or DIY and minimize the costs. Probably the latter is less hassle. It would be worth checking that the tank installation complies with the relevant water bye-laws (insulated, tight-fitting lid, screened overflow, etc.). Might also be worth enquiring whether other properties in the development suffer similar problems.

Reply to
Aidan

In our new house (2000) both the loft tanks (HW and CH) "weeped" from the outlets, not enough to get onto the ceiling, just tightened up and all OK. But the major leak, staining the ceilings was from the isolating valve on the HW tank cold feed. It was leaking and ran back down the insulation and puddled on the ceiling. Again tightening up fixed it. Just all very annoying for a new house.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Another classic Adam/John Curtis/IMM/Dr Evil response. The house is less than three years old and yet you rekon a good solution to the original poster's problem is to replace the tank with a heat bank in the loft, or replace the existing boiler with a combi. Madness, utter madness!

The problem is unlikely to be a tank failure, but rather a problem with the installation. If the builder is being awkward, then I'd first get as much evidence as possible, then either DIY or pay someone to fix it. Then take the builder through the small claims route at court to reclaim the costs.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Yep. Tanks in loft in new hosuing in this day and age is disgusting. Only happens in this country. The guy has been sold a crock, as are many new house buyers. About 60% of new houses are now mains pressure systems.

He now is in the ideal position to bring the system to what it should have been like when he bought it 3 years ago. He should modernise the system as this is an ideal time to do it. No good spending £350 to get nowhere and just stand still.

When he does modernise he will have: instant hot water, high pressure showers and a liberated airing cupboard to store more clothes, and no tank. A win, win situation. I would replace the tank and update the system. That is what he should do.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Except he won't have an airing cupboard. It'll just be a cupboard.

Reply to
Graeme

  1. Have small rad on the back wall
  2. Run the boiler flow and return pipes around the cupboard at low level.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

Then he'll have an airing cupboard. In winter. There's more to this heating crack than you'd anticipated, Dr. Evil. I'd suggest you stick to world domination.

Reply to
Aidan

Got it in one. Also summer, if you want, as the boilers flow and return would be heating it in summer too.

I dominate heating on ng without doubt. Blofeld hasn't a chance here.

to open account

Reply to
Dr Evil

So you don't ever recommend a combi with some water storage?

Strange. Mustn't have been keeping up.

But perhaps you don't understand 'tank' anymore than 'efficiency'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But our resident clown isn't a plumber. And knows f**k all about anything plumbing wise. Or heating, come to that. Apart from quoting websites.

Of course you can get a suitable plastic tank through the average loft hatch. They're made that way...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Spending other's money again? Replacing a 3 year old system with a leak?

WTF do you think they fitted a header tank in the first place on a new house - given it's far more expensive than a combi system?

I'll give you a clue. It's better. A win win situation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)