OT Network of electric vehicle charging points in Cornwall unveiled

Announced on local radio this PM.

Recharge in approximately 30 minutes minimum. That compares with, what, 3 minutes tops to fill your tank? Great!

This bit I liked: "The sales of electric vehicles are about 400%* up on the same period last year so that's a huge change".

*From what was said on the radio, it means in Cornwall.

Yeah, right. One sold last year, four this year?

If electric cars become widely used, the whole grid, i.e. all the generators and transmission systems, will have to be massively up-rated at great expense to cope with the huge extra demand for electricity. People don't realise that when they advocate the widespread use of electric cars. We can't all have solar cells on our roofs Harry!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Observing a charging point in a town near here in a public car park it appeared to be hardly use for the first couple of months,recently it appears to have some regular users who may having seen the availability of it decided to get an electric vehicle. Judging by the clues such as dealers name on plates they appear to be localish. I reckon such people are having a relatively easy time at the moment but if many more people do the same then inevitably there will come a time when somebody has to wait so that could be another 30 mins or an hour . Parking in a normal bay while you queue will need to be paid for so that is another expense and that is if a space is available.Driving around a busy town looking for a space and hoping to be able to nip back to find a vacant charging spot could be a bit stressful if you batteries are getting low and the vehicle is a pure electric. How long before we see the AA,RAC etc commission a fleet of vans with a generator and charger to rescue stranded electric vehicles. I suppose at big events like County shows ,Pop festivals the firms that already hire infrastructure such as generators could easily start putting in a few charge points and charge a sum, maybe they already have done.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Already happens in London. The charging points tend to be used by the same vehicles every day

Reply to
DJC

I'm wondering what I would need to carry so I could use a charging point to charge a 24V disability buggy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright