OT: Large computer monitor

I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 913B monitor - which is 19" 4:3 aspect ratio, with a resolution of 1280 x 1024.

It's quite old, and parts of the screen have burnt-in artifacts which I can't get rid of - so I think it's time to treat myself to a new one.

I like the idea of a 27" monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio and a resolution of 1920 x 1080. This would give me a lot more screen space, which would be useful.

There are quite a few apparently suitable monitors on the market - from Samsung, Acer, etc. - at quite a large price range depending on exact spec - contrast ratio, response time, whether back-lit, etc. I want something which is good and clear for reading text, and reasonable for looking at photographs and streaming video (iPlayer, etc.) but I don't play video games. I'm not too sure of the significance of some of the features.

Anyone got any recommendations for something which will fit the bill without paying silly money?

TIA.

Reply to
Roger Mills

A Nipkow disk?

Frank Erskine

I use two identical 17 inch 4:3 monitors in an extended desktop arrangement. I actually prefer this over a single large monitor mainly because of the way that individual maximised windows snap to one screen or other.

On a single large screen I would need to anally resize the windows to achieve the same effect.

Reply to
Graham.

Almost anything I think. Eg the IIyama 24" screen I'm using cost around a hundred quid and is fine for everything. If I was doing photoshop work or using it as a tv maybe I'd find out where a posher one scores better, but I've not.

Reply to
Clive George

According to a recent discussion on uk.computers.homebuilt:

U2711).

They come up on ebay for considerably less. Apparently, the same as the display fitted to an iMac - very good indeed. I bought a 23" AOC 16:9 about £120 for a 'spare' PC - very shoddy by comparison with blurred text, and the size is far less useful. 27" allows two A4 docs side by side, for example.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

I use my television. 42". Most can be used , some need a cheap adaptor. You might pickup a cheap TV. However electricity use becomes an issue.

Reply to
harry

most 27" stiff has more res than that.

it gets to the point where a 27" TV is cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

especially in winter when your solar panels dont work eh?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not that I have any axe to grind :-) -

Resolution - I've not seen any higher, and beside which, default text would become pretty small I'd have thought;

TV - good point if the case. I can't compare properly as my TVs are 37 and 40", but on each text (for example) is very fuzzy up close.

Rob

Reply to
RJH

Dell seem to be OK and the warranty/service are good. For my next build I plan to get a Dell 24" 16:10 monitor.

Reply to
PeterC

For much those reasons, I found three displays very useful. The third one was run from a USB-to-DVI adaptor and was fine. Would not choose that for video or games but for ordinary "office" use is good. Used to leave Skype on one small-ish monitor for chat purposes.

Reply to
polygonum

+1 I just got two dual head graphics cards, so I can include the TV in the mix too :-)
Reply to
Toby

Graham. :

Little anality is needed with Windows 7. Press Start+Left or Start+Right to resize a window to half the screen, or to reverse the process.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Absolutely that is the better approach - but the adaptors are very useful for things like lappies and desktops which cannot take another card. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Agreed. I use a 24" monitor and very frequently use the WinKey+left/right arrow keys with the document I am working on at the right and reference material on the left.

OP for some good reviews on monitors of all sorts you may want to have a look at

or the English language version of Prad.de at
have a useful monitor selector search which may help in narrowing down the selection. There is also a section on the main screen types which is helpful in relating any specific intended use of the monitor to the screen type (eg TN screens are least expensive, OK for gaming but have restricted viewing angles and consequent picture degradation. IPS screens have the best viewing angles and colour reproduction - ideal for image processing but are somewhat more expensive. In the middle are the compromise VA range.)

rbel

In message , Graham. writes

I can see where this thread is going ...

Reply to
geoff

I suppose it's an alternative to a mouth stick if someone has a disability.

Possibly unplug the webcam though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That might be a bit large unless you intend having two things on the screen which you refer to individually. 24" widescreen seems ideal for me

- I need reading specs and the monitor is at an ideal distance for those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutly, I have done the same at the office, the laptop display, plus two extra screens, one fed via the video out on the laptop dock, and one via a USB adaptor, works fine for office type stuff :-)

Reply to
Toby

You can also drag the window to the far edge, and it will do the same :-)

Reply to
Toby