OT-ish: "Powerwall" - will change the way the world uses energy

Jaguar. The only car where you don't care how long the traffic jam lasts. Mind you after an hour of stop start I did get a 'transmission too hot' light and couldn't do more than 50mph...

+120 on the decadent scale though.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stupidity? Postings by harry?

Reply to
Huge

I looked at the above. Then I looked again.

Then I looked again and gasped.

How could anyone not understand that manufacturing cost should be - if we discount distribution sales and marketing costs - 100% of the cost of a product?

All there is between freely mine-able lithium ore, and a lithium battery, is the human wages paid to the people who turn the raw ore into the battery.

Cost of manufacturing.

Are you some kind of Green?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not even then, essentially because cars keep dropping in price as china gets involved.

That won't happen with electric cars now.

They don?t have the alternative available like electric cars do now.

Yes.

Bet it doesn?t, essentially because conventional cars are so much more viable and much cheaper.

And always will be much more viable and much cheaper too.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I did the calcs on that actually. It really isn't as big as you might think.

A tank of hot water the size of a house, underneath it is probably enough

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No - 75 mins according to Tesla - the last 20% is proportionately longer.

I suspect the control computer will just refuse to start the car after n-months of warnings once the battery is that dead.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No it won't catch on until its longer lived. It needs batteries to be more robust and long lived.

I often wonder if solar panels have been accelerated life tested? I know they are used on spacecraft, but one has to assume these are pretty ruggedised and reliable devices, as you won't get many service engineers out there.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don?t.

I don?t with a normal car.

But is nowhere near as convenient as with a normal car.

You are actually.

You're wrong.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Hmm, but of course if it was cold, presumably the meals would need to be more frequent as to heat the car would use more electricity. Of course you could have a camping heater and a bottle of gas with you, just don't tell the green police!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's illegal to trail a cable across a public pavement.

Reply to
harryagain

But then the rest of it is much cheaper. Battery prices are falling.

Reply to
harryagain

Ah well, for 14 occasions a year, best have a means of transport that requires (what will be even more) a costly, rare fuel.

Wild out there idea, how about an electric car for normal commuting,popping into town WHY; and hiring a petrol car for those occasions that require the longer range?

Reply to
soup

Are not these batteries going to be fully deep cycled at least once a day?

For the original full performance or for some arbitrary performance such as 30/50% capacity at the end of 10 years? Is it a bit like a car warranty where the brake and clutch parts may be guaranteed against manufacturing defects but if you use your car normally they become fair wear and tear items?

So the price comes down to 2K dollars, excluding installation costs. At what price point does solar again become free?

Yes, I do realise that green doesn't mean free. It's about saving the planet using a magic bucket of everlasting money raised by normal and stealth taxation.

The Californian model works for a lot of these technologies but possible not transferable to colder climates - with the same performances/efficiencies.

Reply to
alan_m

There was almost a Rolls Royce Silver Mist. 'Til someone told them that Mist is German for shit

Reply to
harryagain

Hum

so I haven't spend the last 30 years working as a design engineer for (similar) products, because the costs of my time forms no part of the cost of the product that the company makes

I wonder whose been paying my wages then?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The upside is that of giving you several more years life. And a healthier life.

Who wants a car that makes a farting noise all the time?

Reply to
harryagain

Bully for you - most organisations (including the AA) recommend a 15 break every 2 hours. Making that a 30 min break is not pushing the envelope too far.

Nope.

Listen up - I am NOT claiming everyone will be happy with a Tesla. What I AM claiming is that NOW, as in right now, not "in the near future", there's an electric car that is fast and viable with some caveats on planning fuel stops.

The latter can only get better as more superchargers are installed.

And there are people for whom a car is undesireable even now (eg I'd rather take the train to Scotland and get some work done on the train than drive for an entire day).

So at no point am I claiming this is the car for everyone now (obviously not, it's sodding expensive). What I am claiming is it is a car and not just a toy and it's on a curve where the negatives will lessen.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Uses the battery to power the big magnet at the front?

Reply to
dennis

Nope. I did that in both a VW beetle and a Golf.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Sadly, discontinued now. Had one for 15 years, 33mpg at 70mph,18mpg around town. Handling questionable, a freeway car. Genuine 6 seater. Very reliable with the 3.3 engine, not so with the 2.7. The 3.5 was bearable reliability and highest performance.

Reply to
Capitol