OT ish Live Mail

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually getting the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply at the bottom & inserted >>>'s to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could download?

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman

Make life easy and switch to Thunderbird instead.

Mike Clarke

I didn't manage to find anything when I was going through the same problems.

It's a shame, as WLM 2011 is a very nice email client. BTW - I presume this is WLM 2011 that you are suffering with? If you could manage to find the older version WLM 2009, then quoting does work. However, the email interface is not as nice as with 2011 - i.e. no slideshow previews etc.

Reply to
JW

Sorry, I can't help with your question but I have, incidentally, noticed another shortcoming of Windows Live Mail is that it starts off each new message with a '?' - what's that all about?

Reply to
J. Hunter Holly

That never happened with my WLM postings, so not sure what that is all about.

Reply to
JW

Okay, not all WLM postings then - but certainly some users have this happen and, apparently, consistently so.

Reply to
J. Hunter Holly

Certainly does it with me.

Dave TMH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably best to just bite the bullet and jump to thunderbird tbh.

You don't have to use it for email if you want to continue using Livemail but for usenet stuff, it's much much better.

Microsoft have finally given up with usenet really (not that they were ever great at it!)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I think that it's something to do with the encoding - I've seen it with some of my postings to Yahoo groups but not to all of them. Dave could change to Agent for his usenet activities - there's still a free version available.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It's a bug caused by installing an IE beta, apparently.

Oh, the joys of Winblows.

Reply to
Huge

It's caused by a Unicode introducer byte (it probably isn't actually a question mark), it's a bug and it was caused by an IE beta. Oh, the joys of monolithic software and Microsoft's utterly shit quality control.

Reply to
Huge

Available as in downloadable from Forté? I can't see one.

But I dare-say someone has a copy of the old freeagent tucked away somewhere, I even think I have one somewhere, but there doesn't seem to be a lack of free (and maintained) usenet readers ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

WLM is a lost cause for usenet really. I am not aware of any fixes for it either, and I expect MS have long since lost interest in it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Au contraire...they have interested in WLM 2011. It's just that their interest seems to be to disable then remove the newsgroup functionality from it, and to therefore concentrate solely on it's mail capabilities.

Reply to
JW

I think that is what I said, but you please yourself ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, possibly. I originally thought you meant they'd lost interest in WLM, but with hindsight, you probably mean they've lost interest in Usenet. :-)

Reply to
JW

Good. Better no newsreader at all than one that posts that poorly formatted cack.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, "Thunderturd" & "Firepox". They're just as bad, need just as frequent updates as MS stuff. No better, just different.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Then try Microplanet Gravity. It's got a different UI but I now prefer it, since I can set it up how I like... It's supported by those that write the software and, for those that like them, via a Forum at

from
a user for the past several years...

Reply to
John Weston