OT ish incandescent bulb ban

You are the sort of person that makes the laws essential. You can't see the dangers to others even after they have been pointed out.

Reply to
dennis

Most with 'priciples' say this - until one of their own gets killed in premises where someone was doing their own thing. Then scream that 'something must be done'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I must have had somewhat better teachers here.

I can definitely recall the whole thing being put in a historical context of 'this author wrote this book for these people at this time because that was what was going on'

I.e. Chaucer being wry look at mediaeval mores, ditto Shakesperae, and Austen, but of a later age, and Gullivers Travels being not a childrens book, but a political satire.

In other words these things were comments and reflection on the age and of the age in which they were written.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are right. They want to concentrate it on ONE set of hands. The governments, and then they can dictate exactly who is going to get it. And it wont be the deserving either.

The government is the largest and most wealthiest in terms of income, entity in the UK that is of the UK, I daresay that international banks were bigger, ad a few corporates are bigger, but hey we can wreck them easily enough.

If you feel that concentrating all the wealth of the nation in one set of pudgy hands is a Good Thing, then pleas say so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WEll, no actually. My sister basically learn greek latin german and french. Its been a piece of cake to pick up italian, spanish, dutch and some scandinavians stuff as well as modern greek, because she has the root languages in her repertoire.

I did latin and french to O level. I can just about get by in french, and tho I struggle, italian and spanish seem familiar. I am utterly clueless in German tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

can we? It doesn't look like it.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

if you learn Spanish its just as easy to then pick up Italian as if you had learnt Latin first. (as native Spaniards find) You will never save the time you wasted in any later gains (if any) between learning, say, Spanish after Latin compared to Spanish after Italian. Latin is only useful to historians and networking with fellow Latin "speakers". Its a dead language, people should get over it.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I'm sorry, I have no idea what the relevance of this comment is. Are you suggesting that we all need to be "looked after" by an all-knowing and benevolent State?

Reply to
Huge

I fear not...

Bob Mannix

It's very useful for scientists, doctors (or anyone who uses scientific terminology) and classical musicians to know a little.

Reply to
Huge

Of course not. Just saying that any civilisation has rules everyone has to abide by for the good of all - and the type of plug/socket used in domestic premises for power comes under this. You might as well argue that the power generators shouldn't stick to one standard too. After all, for those who don't believe in any regulation, why should they?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
clumsy bastard

snipped-for-privacy@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

Wrong again. If emergency services had been one of the original criteria then I would agree. As it is, the original list did not include them, nor anything else that required legislation.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Oh, but they are all about to be nationalised aren't they?

Cmrade Brown now OWNS them effectively..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Vatican city probably ;-)

I bet there are more Latin speakers than Welsh..anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a29g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

When you come up with a method to remove the emergency services then you can disregard them and just worry about good samaritans.

Reply to
dennis

I think you have entirely missed the point

Latin exists to keep teachers who would be otherwise completely unemployable, in work

Reply to
geoff

Latin is still quite widely used for legal, medical, religious and other documentation where the content isn't intended to change over the years as 'live' language does. Something written in Latin centuries ago still has the same meaning today as it did then.

And it's (slowly) coming back into vogue in primary schools!

Frank Erskine

Sorry Vic, sure there was someone in lighting that had an absolute hate of halogen torchieres, mainly due to fire risk as Andrew said, quick look on google groups only puts you down as syaing there are no nice ones :-)

If only mass manufacturers would scale some commercial fittings to domestic duty and price, 150W CDM uplighter/torchiere would do nicely.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Oh, dear. "Rules"? "Has to"? Doesn't sound like much of a civilisation to me. How about "standards" and "recommendations"? Obviously it makes sense for everyone to use a standard electrical connector, but does the law have to get involved? I would say not; after all, if it makes sense, people will do it anyway, and if it doesn't make sense, it will be ignored. (See Part P). So why involve the law?

Reply to
Huge