OT-ish: blocking sales calls on Virgin Landline

Hey, writing, now that's a clever idea! It was only invented a few thousand years ago to take over from icons and such.

Now we have unintelligible icons foisted on us again and we wonder that they're not always understood.

Reply to
cl

Is there anything that can be done so that the calls come to your phone and you vet the caller before "I'm transferring you now" passing the calls to her phone.

Maybe it's only PABX systems that allow such things.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

The annoying ones are those that don't release the line again until you put them back on the stand or press the "end call" button *TWICE*.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes. I recognise that problem. An astonishing number of modern consumer items designed for the elderly seem to have insanely subtle "designer" on off switches that are almost impossible for them to see!

My dads new "easy to use" electric razor has the most subtle indented O- symbol on a smooth black on black body that even I find hard to see!

I have found painting on/off buttons bright red helps. And/or putting blobs of colour on other controls that are the same as previous ones.

Digital switchover was a nightmare for me too, but in this case it wasn't user error. When they wound the wick up on the transmitters Welsh channels swamped Panasonic sets (and other brands) in the vicinity of Manchester with aerials pointed at Winter Hill.

Even now I have had to disable auto tuning on their set since it is disastrous to allow the set ever to retune itself.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I read the other day that a blood pressure pill, Amlodpine is reckoned to be of use in preventing dementia!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Anonymous Call Reject to be provided free and by default by all providers (and make sure they don't charge for it by raising line rental)

Block all malformed or misleading caller ID strings before they enter the UK network

Remove all rights for any EU based companies to call customers except where they give their explicit written or online consent every 12 months (post paid envelopes so zero cost to customer) fail to renew that consent and the company is fined a few thousand quid for every single call they make. Bankrupt the bastards if they don't understand.

Legislate that a simple key sequence for instance *# will instantly drop any incoming marketing or nuisance call, and then immediately place that caller on a blocked list for that line.

So there are lots of things to do to combat nuisance calls. It just need someone in government with a backbone.

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , tim...... writes

There is hope, but in a land far away.