OT: How do you make a cocktail with liquid nitrogen?

On 11/10/2012 10:26, polygonum wrote: ...

The NFWI advice states that it is because glass is permeable.

Antique containers are specifically excluded from the regulation, so you could use antique lead crystal and still comply.

As I read the legislation, it is primarily aimed at preventing the reuse of plastic containers that are not specifically manufactured to be reused and those made of active materials - materials that release chemicals that help preserve the contents. However, being based on Roman Law, the legislation has to list everything that might possibly be used as a container material, including glass.

The regulations specifically encourage re-use on environmental grounds, providing that food safety is not compromised. I hope the FSA will issue guidance that reflects this.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The perceived threat was the leaching out of potentially dangerous chemicals from the containers, especially plastic ones. AFAIK this wouldn't occur with glass, hence it is used as a storage medium for anything from milk to concentrated acids.

Reply to
hugh

Nobody forces you to buy these products, and they are less harmful than a lot of the stuff produced by big pharma - do I need to mention thalidomide?

BTW homeopathy cured our dog when faced with a lifetime of steroids. Placebo effect on the owners no doubt.

Reply to
hugh

Hence my comment that the NFWI is talking through its collective hat. All too often, when something is reported as having been banned by the EU or the HSE, the fault lies not with the legislation, but with the interpretation people put on it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It isn't. At least not at a level that matters for foodstuffs.

It does become a real problem with certain heavy ions at ppt levels (that is 1 part in 1,000,000,000,000) and lower as they ion exchange with the sodium on the relatively rough surface and the solution loses strength with time. These days ppq determinations are possible in ultra pure cleanroom environments using suitable kit.

Does that mean you can use antique *POISON* bottles with the ridges to allow the blind to tell they are unsafe to use internally to store food?

Ooops! That seems like an oversight - I would not want to consume food that had been stored in an old strychnine jar however carefully cleaned!

That makes sense given that some of them rely on the active ingredient to keep the food safe from spoilage. I took it to mean not reusing plastic containers that may be totally unsuited to the next material put into them (or cannot be adequately cleaned).

So do I. But I am inclined to fear the worst. Our civil service is very good at interpreting EU law to make it overbearing and completely OTT.

Reply to
Martin Brown

To be fair chiropractors do seem to have something going for them as does acupuncture but homeopathy is just so much meaningless twaddle catering for the worried well who are terrified by "chemicals".

I don't suggest you try using homeopathic treatments for malaria or tuberculosis unless you actually want to die.

The dog was going to get better spontaneously anyway. There is no way on Earth that homeopathy does anything beyond the placebo effect.

The "Pure" water they use for their "dilutions" is risibly *impure* compared to the stuff used in semiconductor fabrication. If taking drops of expensive water or sugar pills helps you then fair enough but it is complete and utter bollocks of the worst possible sort.

Reply to
Martin Brown

What I keep coming across is people saying that a homoeopath gave them something or other. The initial assumption being that it was in the extraordinary dilutions they use - but then realising that it was some supplement or herbal product not so diluted.

The homoeopaths seem to be happy for their 'patients' to believe that the medicines cannot possibly cause any harm because they are so dilute

- but actually give them something that might cause harm. Sorry - 'sell', not 'give'. And it might help or harm. But misleading it certainly is.

Reply to
polygonum

Ah so. What did you want it for? My quack gets a small container of it once a month for burning off warts. Or freezing them off.

Reply to
harry

A mate of mine from OZ said he used to make post holes (for fences) back in OZ using explosives. Also get rid of rabbit warrens.

Reply to
harry

Some herbs can have medicinal properties (although effective ones tend to taste awful) and have real side effects too. There are plenty of entirely natural poisons that in small doses can be beneficial.

The infamous rich young expat women slimmers disease in Belgium was a pretty spectacular demonstration of how natural herbs when used incorrectly are anything but safe. See for example:

they are trying to put the best possible slant on it)

Reply to
Martin Brown

It was common practice here in Minnesota in the early days when there was bugger-all here except for trees. There's still bugger-all here today, but there are slightly less trees :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Really? So you would rether risk a homeopathic treatment before travelling to areas of the world where Malaria is rife?

No it didn't. If it did, it wasn't homeopathy.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No they don't. Read about Simon Singh and the British Chiropractic Asociation.

That's another resounding no.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I sent the link to him. He hadn't seen it before (although my grandfather worked for DuPont, but not in the explosives division). My mother isn't willing to let him try it for growing tomatoes in the garden.

Reply to
Adam Funk

brochure:

>>> (Probably a bit older than your dad, but the same principle :-) ) >

How big a post? It seems a bit excessive since you have to dig/drill a hole to put the dynamite in anyway.

Bill Murray tried something similar on a gopher.

Adam Funk

Splinters spread all over the place, though?

Reply to
Adam Funk

m Watts

You don't need to using LN, I've used the freezer airosols used for cooling= components. Just a few MLs of teh liquipd in a plastic film canister, put = the lid back on and in a miniute or so the lid will hit the cieling, like a= cork from a bottle of champagne. =20

Reply to
whisky-dave

I suggest you read the full case.

Simon Singh correctly objected to certain bogus claims made by *SOME* chiropractors for which there is no good evidence at all. They went after him with a libel case and both wasted a lot of time and money.

I know too many people that have had painful joints helped by Osteopaths or Chiropractors to dismiss all their work out of hand.

Some people do seem to benefit from pain relief using it.

Both of these involve some real physical effects and actions.

No doubt you don't believe that people can be hypnotised either. (admittedly some people are a lot more suggestible than others)

Homeopathy is off in a league of its own for modern day quackery.

Though the back page of New Scientist this week details the latest variation on the same sort of worried well anti-chemical scam. The pseudo scientific mumbo-jumbo on their website is hilarious!

Google NES and Infoceuticals will get you this lastest New Age crap..

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Reply to
Martin Brown

"In a middle aged woman who had prolonged and excessive consumption of tomato juice, her skin and liver were colored orange-yellow"

And there was me thinking he was addicted to spray-on tanning.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

After 3 weeks in hospital, she spoke with The Sun. Her stomach was perpherated, and has been completely removed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel