OT - Half a bus ?

Shows a 1960 photograph of the top half of a bus, hitched up under a bridge. WTF was that about?

Reply to
Jonno

Not a bus it is a tram

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's an awfully clean cut for the top half of a vehicle. Is it perhaps a single-decker tram that's been hoisted up off its wheels?

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , Bert Coules writes

Looks like a top deck to me; Interesting; there don't seem to be any overhead wires for the electrical supply.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Tricky Dicky scribbled

Where's the pantograph?

I think it's some elaborate trap.

Reply to
Jonno

I can't tell you why it's hanging there, but a Google Image search came up with the parent webpage

It's the Swansea and Mumbles electric Tramway, formally a railway.

1960 was the year that it closed.

Graham.

Looks to me like top half of a bus, with a tram to the left. There are rails going under the bridge, but no sign of power wires anywhere. Interestingly, there were some very early "ground level supplies" for trams and they have come back into fashion more recently.

South Wales Post, so presumably Cardiff or Swansea? Wasn't 1960 quite late for trams? I remember the Mumbles railway going in the 60's, and there were still tram and rail tracks in the streets then, especially around ports.

Reply to
newshound

Convenient place to hoist it to transplant a new top deck onto one that decapitated itself on a low bridge?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

It is a very large tram, and now noticing the photo comes from a Swansea newspaper makes it almost certainly to be one of the vehicles of the Swansea and Mumble Railway which closed in 1960.

Maybe the wires had already been removed or the tram had been taken onto an ordinary railway track as the line was linked and had been used for goods traffic at one time. One Tram was removed to a site in Leeds to be preserved but a combination of neglect and then vandalism meant it was deliberately burnt in the late sixties or early seventies.

A guess on my part is that the decks are being separated for the tram to be taken elsewhere using a method that would bring apoplexy to those who have to follow the safety rules of today. ( and I'm not suggesting that sensible H+S is a bad thing). Maybe it is the one that went Leeds being prepared as I suspect the others were scrapped in situ.

Article on the Railway.

You tube showing last days

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

On 20 May 2015, Jonno grunted:

Hasn't it been raised off the bottom half of the *tram*, which is standing in front? For some reason?

Reply to
Lobster