OT. First fireworks

I heard my first fireworks tonight ,, is this a record :-) ?

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

In message , Mike P the 1st writes

There are some sort of firework displays going off on a regular basis round here

I've never got to the bottom of quite why

so ... No

Now - go and look for xmas trees

Reply to
geoff

No. There were a few let off last Sunday. Possibly the Chinese family down the road as they believe that 10/10/10 is a special date.

Oh, and the one I set off in June. I found it in the loft of an unoccupied house.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Possibly. Were you playing Handel at the time?

I'll get me coat :)

Reply to
Simon C.

Some shops sell them all year round - many people now use them for a range of celebrations.

Some people like to make their own bang - especially when there are no others.

Some people are obsessed with them and like to show they have money to burn.

Nov 5th is hardly a special festival in the scheme of things.

Reply to
John

And what were you doing in the loft of an unoccupied house?

C'mon, fess up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 21:37:51 +0100, "John" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

I have just got back from China and witnessed there the most awesome firework display I have ever seen. They really know how to make the displays.

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Except that you can legally let them off later..!

Reply to
Bob Eager

More likely to be real fireworks, records don't have enough dynamic range to reproduce the sound :-)

...unless anybody knows about sound systems that can?

Reply to
alexander.keys1

It is in our family.

Daughter was due to be born around the 10th of November. The brother in law said that she would be born on the 5th and that the fireworks would bring on the birth. Sure enough she was. Strange thing is that the eldest g daughter was born on the 26 of October and the youngest on the second on November, so they all celebrate their birthdays within 7 days of each other.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Any chance your birthday is in January or February?

Reply to
Fredxx

Just a rewire I am afraid.

You do get to see some good old stuff up in those lofts.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry, June and July :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Both? Who are you, the queen? :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I went to Aldi & Morrisons on Sunday & ever so slightly 'overspent' a little on fireworks for our Firework BBQ do.

Everything made in China - but in this case where better? They invented them!

H&S overkill all over the place, most had the warning that spectators should be 25 metres away. How many suburban gardens are 25 metres + long these days?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Unfortunately not. I've been rounding up the more skittish beasts for a few days now. Will be damned happy when the stupidity is done with.

Reply to
Nick

My only preparations so far are

  1. Chopping down the neighbours trees for the bonfire (yes I had permission)
  2. Telling the girlfriend to get some booze and food in (she has my CC)
  3. Inviting friends for the piss up

Thats only advice not a law.

And don't forget, a lit cig is the best way to light the fireworks.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We very nearly had a container load of them go off last night. Someone broke into four self-storage containers on a nearby industrial estate - using something that peeled the heavy steel lock covers right off - and set fire to the contents of three of them. It turned out that a load of illegal fireworks were being stored in an adjacent container and gas cylinders in the one next to that.

The estate was closed until lunchtime, until the Fire Brigade was sure everything was safe. Now Trading Standards are taking a close interest in the fireworks and the boys in blue are taking an interest in the contents of some of the other containers affected.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Do they still sell the twopenny bangers and Magic Rousers? Bonfire night reminds me of gunpowder, copper tube (flattened ends + a hole) and Jetex fuse, or, copper tube (flattened one end + a hole) and ball bearings, or...... nah, I must'nt.

Reply to
brass monkey

Que? Haven't seen my invitation, yet...

Reply to