In this US state you need a permit for fireworks… but not a shotgun

For most Brits, Bonfire Night means gathering the family together in the garden for a Catherine wheel and jacket potato extravaganza.

When you're not craning your neck to look at the sky, you're probably waving sparklers about with the kids. Because there's nothing better than drawing your own name in silver fire.

But in one US state, sparklers are deemed too dangerous to possess, let alone buy - even if you're a responsible adult. This is despite the fact that guns are widely and readily available.

Residents of Delaware can buy guns without a licence but cannot possess fireworks without a permit. Private displays in gardens are very much off-limits.

It's not just Delaware. Massachusetts also bans all consumer fireworks ? including sparklers. Meanwhile Illinois, Ohio and Vermont ban everything but sparklers and novelty items.

While these states uphold the right to bear arms, fireworks and sparklers are illegal because they are ?unsafe?.

Bod

You have to fact check what the lib media writes. Here is the truth:

Delaware Gun Laws

In order to be eligible to purchase a firearm, a prospective buyer must sub mit him/herself to a mandatory criminal background check. Furthermore, an a dult record check is also required. The only types of firearms that are exempt from necessitating any kind of b ackground checks are those considered to be antiques or replicas.

They are either ignorant or deliberately misleading by using the word "perm it". You don't need a permit, but in the entire USA you are required to be run through the federal database for an approval check. The database has the names of felons and those who have been committed to the nut house. That is for any purchase through a firearms dealer, ie anyone selling them as a business. As we discussed here recently, private sales are not subject to that requirement, but this hasn't been the way a weapon was acquired in any mass shooting that I'm aware of. For example the Las Vegas shooter would have passed the fed check and any checks in any state, because like so many, he had no record, there was no indication he was nuts, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I believe prior to the change the novelty items also were banned in town. It's amusing here around the 4th of July. There is the city of Missoula and the county of Missoula. Judging from the noise fireworks up to and including 155mm artillery shells are legal in the county and are sold in seasonal fireworks stands that are erected a few feet outside of the city line. Due to the chaotic way the city annexed surrounding land there is one stand which from all appearances is in the city although it's really on a narrow peninsula of the county extending into the city.

It should be mentioned the city is the liberal hotspot in a state of conservative voters, partially because of the university. Even there you can buy a firearm without a permit but you must have a permit to carry it concealed. In the county you carry it anyway you please.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 11:43:02 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

away. We even fought a war over it. The problem with fireworks is the s= ame as guns in that it's not the inanimate object, it's who is handling = it. Many people have the mistaken impression that fireworks are harmless= and would let a child have fireworks when they wouldn't let a child tou= ch a firearm.

That's because guns are designed to kill. To kill someone with a firewo= rk is damn hard even on purpose.

-- =

Statistics show that 25% of all women are on medication for mental illne= ss. That's scary! It means 75% are running around with no bloody medication= at all!!!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 13:47:16 -0000, trader_4 wro= te:

t submit him/herself to a mandatory criminal background check. Furthermo= re, an adult record check is also required.

of background checks are those considered to be antiques or replicas.

That doesn't explain the fireworks.

-- =

When launching a boat, always back the boat into the water. Pulling the boat into the water can really mess up your carburettor.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You need more permission to hide it than to openly display it? WTF?!?

-- =

Stress is the conflict which occurs when your mind prevents your body fr= om beating the living daylights out of whoever got in your way.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I only say that the northeastern states have silly laws. In Florida I can go get 100mm mortars (fireworks) and I just sign a form saying I am scaring away birds with them.

BTW to get a gun anywhere in the US from a dealer you need to fill out a federal form and have a background check. There is a lot made of the fact that buying from an individual does not require this process but when have they ever had an effective law about what two people do in private? If simply making it illegal worked, there would be no drug problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

There isn't a drug problem. Drugs aren't harmful, the criminals are, an= d they wouldn't be criminals if drugs were legalised.

-- =

Patient: Doctor, I think I need glasses. Madam: I think so, too. This is a brothel.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What makes it a state law? My Nevada, USA county has a local ordinance about regulating 'safe and friendly' fireworks.

Highway patrol officers have confiscated trucks hauling illegal fireworks into our state.

Last I exploded was a quarter stick of TNT..

I don't need any stinkin' permit!

Reply to
Oren

Making a fuss about dangerous fireworks is pathetic. If someone wants t= o be dangerous then let them. The chances of being killed by one if you= stay inside your house is nil.

-- =

The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"Pancho was a bandit boy, His horse was fast as polished steel He wore his gun outside his pants For all the honest world to feel"

"Pancho and Lefty" Townes van Zandt

Reply to
rbowman

rbowman

rbowman

Bod,

Not a day goes by that you do not post something critical about the USA. I realize that condescending over America is a British national sport, but give it a rest please! You should pay attention to your own country.

-T

?And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?? --Matthew 7:3

Stop speaking yank. Your bad what?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 06:42:26 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

se Antifa freaks to be able to find me when insult them. =E3=83= =BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

Except you tell us where you live.

-- =

Don't adopt a dwarf with learning difficulties. It's not big, and it's n= ot clever.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then don't treat them. If someone wants to kill themselves with dugs, then let them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Before or after he's inhaled it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 19:07:11 -0000, Uncle Monster w= rote:

those Antifa freaks to be able to find me when insult them. =E3= =83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

e preserve. My brother's home is up the mountain next to the nature pres= erve. =E3=83=BD(=E3=83=85)=E3=83=8E

So why the proxy?

-- =

Engage brain before putting fingers in gear.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't you have bunches of little old ladies to protect you?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman