OT Firefox using lots of memory

My Linux Seamonkey uses about 100M with 8 pages open. However it is frequently vital to block Javascript (easy in Windows, less so in Linux) as some sites are so bloated that they take forever to load.

Reply to
Capitol

No wonder they are so slow.

Not that javascript is inherently a bad thing. My email client has some

16k lines of PHP and 24k lines of what is mostly js with some html.
Reply to
Tim Streater

It prepares them for life in the modern UK. :)

Reply to
Albert Zweistein

Indeed... such is web 2.0 and re-marketing ;-)

Well possibly - however I was referring to the migration away from crypto protocols such as SHA1 - eventually you will reach a point where an old browser won't connect to a new site.

Also site ditching flash (not bad in itself - get rid of another layer of liability) means dependencies on HTML for video etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Gave that a try and it did indeed load in just under 128mb. Looks promising. I migrated the bookmarks easily enough but need to do the stored passwords too if I can find a way.

Reply to
Dave Baker

OK in my case its 212,512 with UBlock Origin

180,448 without it
Reply to
rick

seems to do nothing for me

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

You probably did it when FF wasn't struggling.

It works for me, frees up about 10% of memory. On a 32-bit (i.e. limited to ~3.5Gb physical RAM) Grim7 system with lots of apps running in other virtual desktops, it makes the difference between keeping them all open and having to close some down before the OS throws its toys out of the pram.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Not a huge amount for me either. Handy to know it's there though but I suspect the system is in trouble already if you need to use it.

Reply to
Dave Baker

En el artículo , Dave Baker escribió:

Yes. I see it as a get out of jail free card. It allows you to shut down one or two apps to let the system catch its breath, rather than it all collapsing in a heap.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson