[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

"R.C. Payne" wrote in news:e66auf$d82$1 @gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk:

Actually, M!kro$oft have beaten you to it. They have sold the whole world vast numbers of bits - and since each bit is just a magnetic field, its actual value is 0. :)

Reply to
Epicentre

However, it's her failure to check before pushing them through the door...

I'm sure it's not a postcode failure in our (non-rural) area that causes us to get post for nearby streets, but the same house number.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On reflection, it might be...differnt postcode, same number. But they still have to be sorted into street oder, and then actually delivered...two opportunities to check whch are both failing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And Linz. And me. If it's the Linz I think it is, that's definitely

*two* more, because there are witnesses of us being in the same room together.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, that's what I thought.

How many of us can claim that we get through a day with only getting 1% of it wrong? I can't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

a news story I was reading last week said something like 0.006% of all mail results in a complaint for non delivery, of which over 75% is actually late delivery or returned to sender due to bad addressing.

It was the same day they were talking abut 50,000 letters turning up at a recycling plant

Reply to
Lord Edam de Fromage

I can always tell when my postie's on holiday because we get increased amounts of post for 6, 14 and Road rather than Grove.

Reply to
Linz

*waves* And about 50 topics. I am waiting for this to turn up in my other groups.
Reply to
Linz

The message from "Linz" contains these words:

Oooh, 'allo. How's t'sprog?

Reply to
Guy King

But remember not to count me because I'm not here.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Hot Badger Lust wrote: [...]

Which is the one that eats babies?

Reply to
Peter Corlett

The same thing happens here and I am sure it happens all round the country too

Reply to
Anita

Yep, we live on X Road and there is and X Road West adjacent. X Road West has a doctor's surgery at number two and as we live at number two we get a lot of their mail.

Sometimes we get the same thing twice - after circling the address and emphasising the West part :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

In message , Richard Conway writes

I get that, first time they go out with a big circle round the address and "not known at this address" in bold black felt pen; second time they go out with "Nope, still not known at this address" in bold red felt pen. I've not had one back a third time yet, but if I do I think green felt pen is in order.

Reply to
bof

Not *green* pen, surely :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

The problem that I get occasionally is letters being delivered to me (as the sender) instead of to the recipient, despite the two sides of the envelope being marked very clearly with "FROM" and "TO", and the stamp being on the "TO" side. The record for this was four times before I rang up the sorting office and asked them what the hell was going on. I'd tried posting from various places (I was travelling to Staines on business at the time, so I stopped at various places en route to post the letter). The problem turned out to be ignorant pillocks at my local sorting office in Cowley, Oxford, which also happened to be the sorting office for the recipient as well.

The guy at the sorting office suggested what my postman also suggested - cover up the "FROM" address altogether! I think my postman definitely saw the funny side of the problem by the time he had delivered the same letter to me, with increasingly irate embellishments in felt pen, every few days for two weeks.

Reply to
Martin Underwood

I think it's the thought of the green pen that stops them coming back a

3rd time.
Reply to
bof

Erm 17p = 10 + 5 + 2 ??

Reply to
Paul Ebbens

The message from bof contains these words:

Green pen used to really bother my old boss. She'd worked in banks for years and green was reserved for the dreaded auditors.

Reply to
Guy King

Happens to me, too. I found that using smaller lettering for the From: address, and writing it diagonally, helped a bit.

Reply to
Bob Eager