[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

No, I don't always believe anything on web sites and never quote them as proof of my ideas.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Are you perhaps thinking of some other Mike? Or was I spectacularly drunk at the time?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes typed

Yup, another Mike.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Guy King wrote: [...]

inconsistent to boot.

About the best thing that can be said about Wikipedia on technical topics is that it's easy to search to figure out the name of a concept I faintly remember from school but can't remember the word, so I can then look it up in a proper textbook.

Can anybody recommend an accessibile book on relativity?

Reply to
Peter Corlett

People might remember their own 'phone numbers most of the time but the valid comparison is with remembering _someone_else's_ phone number which IME is far less likely to be achieved accurately especially with the help of idiot advertisers who mess around with the preferred presentation.

Reply to
Charles Ellson

In London, loads. I had three out of four birthday cards stolen when I first moved here - the one that arrived was in a jiffy bag wheras the other three were in coloured envelopes.

Reply to
C!

The message from snipped-for-privacy@dopiaza.cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett) contains these words:

That's 'cos it's edited by anyone who fancies ago. Don't whinge about it, correct it.

Reply to
Guy King

You have to 'live' wikipedia to do that. I updated a sadly lacking entry with a lot of good material (it's a subject I am pretty expert in). About 2 months later it was missing (not re-edited, missing). I eventually found out that 'they' thought there was a copyright violation as parts of what I wrote could be found on a website. My website.

Fair enough...the action they took was to warn me, and give me seven days to go through the 'procedure'. The warning was not emailed, but posted on wikipedia to me ("policy, guv"). So I never saw it. Unless you're willing to log in every few days, it isn't worth providing material.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from Befunge Sudoku contains these words:

It's nothing new. I've a book somewhere written in the eighties about exactly this. That's the silly thing - it's been known for years but ignored.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from raden contains these words:

DIY?

Reply to
Guy King