[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

Why does the Royal Mail have all these weird and wonderful values for single stamps?
I can't for the life of me see how the stamp values relate to any usefulness based on the cost of sending a letter. But there must be some sort of conection like this.
Can anyone work it out?
This page http://tinyurl.com/fpf9u shows the value of individual stamps I can get from my post office are as follows:
1 pence 2 5 9 10 20 37 42 44 49 50 72
And thse pages is a list of charge bands for different weights of first or second class post:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?mediaId@0029&catId@0028 http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?mediaId@0030&catId@0028
What is the connection?
Will wrote:

They pick random numbers out of a hat.
Perhaps you could ask them.
Will wrote:

That's Richmoud's sequence. It allows you to make any number you choose, by using no more than three stamps.
Willy Eckerslyke wrote: [stamp values]

How can you make 17p with just three stamps? Is the 9 supposed to be an 8?
Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.
Neil Sunderland wrote:

10 + 5 + 2
Grumps wrote:

*slaps forehead*
Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.
Neil Sunderland wrote:

10p + 5p + 2p ;-)
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:53:07 GMT, Neil Sunderland
10, 5, 2.
--
JAF
anarchatntlworldfullstopcom
Neil Sunderland wrote:

Neil - don't bother entering "Countdown" :-)
--
LSR

Neil Sunderland wrote:

OH NO NOT ANOTHER ONE!

Erm 17p = 10 + 5 + 2 ??

Only two days late; I bet you're a silver-surfer, ain'tcha, hmmm?
--
^^ ++ungood

We've moved on from there. You can't do 33p or 36p though - so there!
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

choose,
That list doesn't include 1st and 2nd class stamps. You can do 33p = 1st class (32) + 1p 36p = 1st class (32) + 2p + 2p.
Peter

Damn, that's clever! Give the man a peanut.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Peter Masson wrote:

So the sequence is 1,2,5,9,10,20,32,37,42...
Does this mean that the next rise in First Class postage *must* be from 32 to 37, or does the whole sequence change every time the rates for 1st and 2nd change?
Owain

Why should you want to use 33 or 36p postage?

Because, depending on the scale of charges currently in force (which change from time to time) a package might requie this postage, depending on its weight. The use of a standard set of stamps from which any amount can be made up from 3 removes the need to change the stamp denominations with changes in charges.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

But there aren't any in the current tariffs ...
Mary

Noooo but, as I said, the tariffs may change (over tens of years) but the stamp denominations never need to so and can remain constant forever, even if some combinations are not in use. The numbers printed will reflect usage, that's all.