[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

"Linz" typed

Should you visit my Pallis, remind me to give you any ink you'd like as I can't really write any more. I have a good collection of ink...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Linz" typed

of which I have some...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

In uk.railway Charles Ellson twisted the electrons to say:

Not in the delivery office I work in ... The "mech bundles" are only sorted down to the level of the walk, they're not sorted (yet) down to putting the streets in order. The first few hours of my working day is spent taking those mech bundles and sorting them (plus A4 letters and other non-mech items) into one of these :-

say "yet" because that technology is coming, though it still won't deal with A4-sized envelopes - hence why they'll cost more to post.)

In answer to someone else's point about spaces in postcodes. The office I work in covers _ZZ1 9??_ and _ZZ19 ???_. (Obviously not actually a ZZ code!) Failure to put a (big enough) space in the first post code means the the letter gets routed to the wrong part of the office. With other post codes it might get the letter sent, initially, to the wrong office (and hence delivered a day late).

Reply to
Alistair Gunn

Why where they designed in this way then? Surely it would have been just easy to have a "AA99 AA9" format? Then spaces would have been unneeded between the parts.

Reply to
August West

They can do all sorts of knitting. And crochet.

Cheers

mark-r

Reply to
Mark Robinson

Denominations DO change with changes to tariffs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Reply to
Linz

Of Mike and me?

Reply to
Linz

Hope no one will mind if I move this off uk.railway?

Reply to
Andrew Yarnwood

How do you hope to do that?

Reply to
August West

Not at all, Mr. Yarnwood.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
Anita

Reply to
Anita

Why not just KF the thread if you don't want to read it?

I guess you could always shunt it off the main thread into a siding thread?

Reply to
bof

In message , Anita writes

Hi Anita, I think your newsreader may be broken, that's the third post in quick succession I've read from you now where nothing got added when you replied.

Reply to
bof

In message , at 17:07:39 on Fri, 9 Jun

2006, bof remarked:

How will it fare? Will it Return?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I wish you would stop going down this route, with such single track minds. It spoils the turnout!

Reply to
EricP

In message , at 17:08:08 on Fri, 9 Jun 2006, EricP remarked:

What's the point? Don't try to railroad us.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Reply to
Anita

Yeah, I mean, what is the point? Can't we switch to something else?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson