Value of Tools

Hi All

Had the chance to tidy up my tool trolley yesterday. I use a kind of tool bucket on wheels with loads of pouches & pockets. This is my 'standard' tool kit that always goes with me on every job. The frontline stuff.

Whilst I was at it, I made a list of the stuff just in case it ever goes missing. Much to my surprise it came to over £500!

Only one power tool, a drill driver worth £90, the rest was made up of hand tools.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One way to discourage hand tool walkies is to dip the handles in some ugly colour of gloss paint that no-one else would buy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

And use a soldering iron to burn your postcode into power tools /very/ deeply.

Reply to
Guy King

Blimey, Andy pays that for one tool, and he doesn't do it for a living :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It is quite supprising how much all the little bits and pieces that you accumulate over time cost though. I went through the exercise of listing the stuff in my workshop anticipating that there were "a few decent bits of kit" and lots of other "stuff". The replacement price of the "stuff" is actually more shocking.

He probably has a more demanding customer though - him!

Reply to
John Rumm

Exacry.... (that's for Japanese tools)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds remarkably cheap for a professional's toolkit. I would expect around four times that, at least.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I thought that as well, my tollcase was £227 + vat, alone without the contents. I think it is too scarey to add up completely.

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

It's way too little. I'm only an occasional DIY-er and I have way more than GBP500/worth of tools. This caused a dispute with my house insurers, since they have a (low) limit on the contents of garages where all my tools live, presumably because most garages are scabby affairs at the end of a garden which the average 9 y/o could break into, whereas mine's integral to the house, reasonably secure and alarmed.

Reply to
Huge

ge

Heh, this is so true. I added up tool spend for one year and nearly had triplets. Since then I've tried to appreciate poundland :) Seriously though, for every grand spent on tools theres another 3 saved in the process, so its worth it. In fact, the more you spend on tools the more you save :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Now there is a good line to remember for "tricky" moments ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

You mean like the moment when you have to explain to the wife that you needed a nice new welder but to go with it you just /had/ to have a plasma cutter as well?

Reply to
Guy King

Or better still, you can explain how much you saved by buying both together... for *her* birthday pressie! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not a complete toolkit. The basic frontline stuff. Levels, squares, chisels, hammers, screwdrivers, tape rule, bradawl, handsaw etc etc.

I haven't added the powertools, the plumbing kit, the decorating kit, the laminate floor kit, the tiling kit...................

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

You'd be amazed at how many nice new tools just /had/ to be bought to make this bloody conservatory! Still - if she wants cedar window frames and doors then that's what it costs.

Actually, I'm rather chuffed - I put the windows in a few weeks ago and they're great - I did a real Homer Simpson - spent a few minutes opening and closing the windows going "Window open, window closed, window open, window closed...."

Reply to
Guy King

I do that too. "light on, light off, light on, light off...."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It cost me about that much to make up a basic toolkit for maintaining my house in France, which I suspect should be fairly comparable. As a 12 year old house should not need much maintenance, I bought the cheapest that would do the job. For use in my business, I buy top grade tools. As I said, you surprise me that your basic kit costs so little.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

ISTR some copper advising gardeners to paint their tools pink (titter ye not, missus!)

Painted a note on the doors of my van informing of that after some scrote tried to open the back door with a large screwdriver.

Reply to
John Stumbles