[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

That would make a change ;)

Reply to
Anita

I think that would be difficult to do

Reply to
Anita

Obviously we have signally failed to impress you.

Reply to
Graeme Wall

Sorry, but I'm just trying to keep the line open and not get clogged down with ballast.

Reply to
EricP

Looks that way !

Reply to
Anita

"Linz" typed

And me and coj and Guy and others...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

In message , Anita writes

Ahh, good news, you've managed to fix your newsreader, what was causing it to drop replies?

Reply to
bof

Remember your station. Master your baser urges, and we may yet. . .

Reply to
JAF

In message , Graeme Wall writes

That's the ticket, a nice appraisal.

Reply to
bof

Unfortunately, you haven't:

Reply to
Charles Ellson

And August West was like:

Sixties, wun tit? There weren't any computers then; it was all steam engines and adding machines.

Interesting (or perhaps not) that the PO's address finder lets you type in (most) postcodes without spaces. Presumably it would barf if you did type an ambiguous code, but cases like the one Alistair describes must be quite rare.

Reply to
Patrick Hardlentil

There is no ambiguous case. The last grouping always starts with a digit, and is three characters in length. So, for ABCDEFG:

last part is always EFG, and E must be a digit first part is always the 'alpha' part (one or two letters) and the rest must be digits.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote

The outward part may be 2, 3 or 4 characters, consisting of one or two letters followed by one or two numerals. However, after one numeral there may be a further letter, e.g. EC2V 6DZ, or EC2Y 5AQ. There are also one or two special postcodes which do not follow the normal rules. I am not sure whether GIR 0AA is still recognized, but SAN TA1 certainly is (though normally only in the run up to Christmas).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Masson

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:38:31 GMT, Bob Eager commented

True.

Not true, counter examples are

W1A 1AA, G1R 0AA

Reply to
Detritus

The message from Patrick Hardlentil contains these words:

It was done because it was thought that people would find it easier to remember an alphanumeric sequence than a five or six digit number. Silly really, as people remember their phone numbers all the time and other countries manage fine.

There is another coding system, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but it's a five digit thing used by businesses for certain mail discounts. Mailsort, that's it!

Guy King

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

See

Guy King

Good point. Just take the first part of the algorithm then!

Reply to
Bob Eager

doesn't help.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If they'd used numbers I suppose there would have been a problem with people confusing phone numbers and postodes and sending mail to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, New Scotland Yard, London WHI1212.

If this was before all-figure numbering it would have been even more confusing as several different director areas would have had similar exchange names such as CENtral.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

And "Bob Eager" was like:

Ah, quite right; I wasn't paying attention there. So, the space is never truly needed for parsing.

This has been more interesting than I'd have thought possible. Hurrah for x-posts!

Reply to
Patrick Hardlentil