[OT] Face value of stamps and the costs of posting

20+10+5+1

Why can't you?

Reply to
JAF

Quite so. You *could* do 33p with 33 x 1p stamps - hardly useful though

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Damn, that's clever! Give the man a peanut.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Oh, I have no doubt about that, but it happens when the regular postie is away.

Reply to
Linz

I still use peacock blue.

Reply to
Linz

He is small and lively. And moderately TWO. He can do a tantrum but not on a huge scale, and generally is well-mannered. He's got a cracking sensa yumour too.

Reply to
Linz

It's the Linz you think it is. There are not only witnesses but, I believe, photographic evidence.

Reply to
Linz

So the sequence is 1,2,5,9,10,20,32,37,42...

Does this mean that the next rise in First Class postage *must* be from

32 to 37, or does the whole sequence change every time the rates for 1st and 2nd change?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yeah, but they've just outsourced the sale of 1st and 2nd class stamps and these now incur a delivery charge

Reply to
Richard Conway

I didn't notice that, but a quick look at their web page shows that orders over =A335 get free delivery.

Reply to
Peter King

YSTHM "loony turquoise".

Reply to
August West

Franking machines are convenient but have a significant overhead for smaller businesses like ours. We pay something like £24 per month, each postage recharge (we do £200 at a time) costs £4, ink cartridges cost £££ and when postage rates change it's £50 for a new chip. And when you've franked the mail you have to take it to a post office (luckily my assistant passes one on her way home) or if you have a small volume of letters you can put them in special envelopes (24p each) and post in a box. But it is convenient.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why should you want to use 33 or 36p postage?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a matter of opinion.

They charge for delivery.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite.

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

AKA "Constituent's Ink."

Reply to
Steve Firth

Because, depending on the scale of charges currently in force (which change from time to time) a package might requie this postage, depending on its weight. The use of a standard set of stamps from which any amount can be made up from 3 removes the need to change the stamp denominations with changes in charges.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

But there aren't any in the current tariffs ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Martin Underwood" typed

The Danes put a great big X right through the sender's address, which still remains legible.

Mebbe we should do the same.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Noooo but, as I said, the tariffs may change (over tens of years) but the stamp denominations never need to so and can remain constant forever, even if some combinations are not in use. The numbers printed will reflect usage, that's all.

Reply to
Bob Mannix