OT - eye test

worn for 20 odd years, with changes in prescription. Varifocal and photochromic, they've served me well for sailing and in particular driving so that I have good peripheral vision which I believe to be most important.

I give two fingers to "style". "Journalists" that write such utter crap. Bloody wankers that do not do a useful job and sustain the chattering glasses.

Reply to
Clot

"Snipped ! If I'm doing PCB work I now pile two if not three pairs down my nose and the strengths add up. No one sees me so I only know I look a prat !!

Rob

Can't be a good idea due to the number of glass surfaces you are looking through. Are you too mean to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses?

Reply to
John

> (Or just search "presbyopia surgery" if that only works for firefox.) >

Ever tried wiring a ceiling rose in varifocals? Need to put them on upside down.

Reply to
John

-

adams

michael adams

vbg

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Everybody takes some care with their appearance.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I first required a prescription about 2 yrs ago. Since then it seems to get worse each year. Up until now I've managed with off the shelf reading glasses but I think I am going to need something more bespoke this year. I get free tests every 12 months as ther is Glaucoma in the family.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

John :

Perhaps you should have read what Rob wrote, including "I find the cheap 'reader' specs are fine", before you cheerfully snipped it.

For some years I used to double-up on my 1.5 cheap reader specs when required. Then it occurred to me to buy a 3.0 pair for close work. But they're not always close to hand, so sometimes I revert to using two pairs of 1.5s. Sometimes even the 3.0s *and* a pair of 1.5s.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "michael adams" saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I know a car mechanic who had a pair specially made, with the lenses installed upside down...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Mine have got worse over the last year. I had a test today. I wish I could understand what the prescription means, and I wish the professionals would use a standard description.

"Opticians are not eye doctors and, therefore, are not licensed to write an eyeglass prescription. A dispensing optician will take a prescription written by an optometrist or ophthalmologist and order and/or assemble the frames and lenses to then be dispensed and sold to the patient."

"In practice, optometrists tend to use minus-cylinder notation, whereas ophthalmologists and orthoptists tend to prescribe using plus- cylinder notation. However, some ophthalmologists and orthoptists (such as in Australia) are changing to using minus-cylinder notation."

I assume the "Axis" starts at 3 oclock and increases in a clockwise direction. And that "Add" is a correction for close work.

Reply to
Matty F

Your eye test is doing more than checking what prescription you might need, it is also a valuable health check. 20yrs is too long if that is what you are saying.

Every 2 - 3 yrs at least.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I just have groups of +1.25, +2 and +3.5/4 around the house: loft, back bedroom (shed), my bedroom, bathroom, hall, 3 rooms downstairs and out in t'shed.

+2s are for careful marking up and reading smaller stuff; +3.5/4 for v. fine work and not worn for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Most work, inc. PC, is OK at +1.25. At least 1.25 allows freedom of movemen - I just don't focus on one thing or at a fixed distance so that weak glasses have little effect when moving from place to place. This allows the 1.25s to congregate in the wrong places.
Reply to
PeterC

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Some of us are just cool as f*ck.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've had a couple of cataract operations which have left me with distance sight in one eye and short-sight in the other. Surprisingly, it works very well and I don't normally wear glasses at all. I wear a pair of prescription glasses for driving - you should use all the help you can get.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

I used to wear glasses for driving. Five years ago I had a detached retina, and as a side-effect cataract operation was required . Since the cataract operation I've found my distance vision better without glasses even though the damaged eye alone has very poor vision at any distance. There seems to be some cognitive process at work that extracts the good patches from my damaged retina. On the other hand I am now too old to read without glasses.

Reply to
djc

Flippin heck I'm glad I have to have them on me nose for every waking hour. Having random pairs scattered willy nilly all over the place would drive me insane.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a simple mathematical conversion between the two systems. My opthalmologist explained it to me a once and gave me the formula but the details have faded, that's what google is for...

There are plenty of sites that explain an eye sight prescription out there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I had a similar thing as posterior vitreous detachment PVD which is the precursor to a detached retina a lot of the time.. Had it welded back into place by Argon Laser.

Almost shat meself when he said "come back after lunch and we'll weld it up";!..

Been fine ever since and with glasses its as good as you need to be a commercial passenger jet pilot:)...

Watch out for any sudden appearance of "Floaters" those little bits of stuff you see in your eyes sometimes especially against a bright Sky or PC screen, they are usually a strong indication that its starting to detach, get it checked right away!...

That Argon laser is about the brightest thing you'll ever see. Blinds you for a round 10 mins but totally painless. Just need to look at the white alignment cross with the good eye, else they might miss the bit there're welding around the rim, and put some spots on the bits that are still useful!.

-Not good- as capt'n Hook would say....

Reply to
tony sayer