OT - eye test

I thought that they did!

When in China I tried to take advantage of the claimed cheapness of glasses there.

I took my prescription with me and went into the "bargain" shop.

The assistant couldn't understand my prescription and asked me to hand my glasses to his technician to work out my script from them.

He wrote down exactly the same numbers that were on the prescription I had presented!

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes, that's happened already. When the left eye detached it was several days before I did something about it. So it needed the gas bubble treatment and subsequently a cataract. A few months ago I had a serious floater in the right eye and went straight to Moorfields. That was just the vitreous detachment which is apparently common enough at my age (55). Did not need any treatment and vision in the right eye is unimpaired.

Reply to
djc

Think yourself lucky that your eyes are both the same, and that you don't have astigmatism :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I've had a look at a few, and they don't explain what I want to know.

Reply to
Matty F

The chart is nominally at infinity so natural ageing of the cornea shouldn't make a difference. With any correction, obviously.

My prescription hasn't changed in over 40 years and I have a heavy astigmatism. Down, I'm told, to wearing hard contact lenses. Stops the lens changing shape.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry to break in- so to speak. I suffer from Glaucoma and the medications I take increase the likelihood and onset of cataracts. Now affecting me though I was never advised that this was likely. Other sufferers and pupative sufferers beware.

Reply to
Clot

I take it from that you're getting towards mid 50s. With that amount of short sight you probably don't use your specs for reading. I'm about -4 and -4 astigmatism. one eye hasn't changed much since 1967, but the other has reduced short sight in the last few years.

Reading is still fine with no specs but bifocals are deployed normally, and an intermediate pair for comfortable computing.

I no longer can focus half way up my nose as I could 30 years ago, I now have to use a magnifying glass for anything closer than 70mm.

Reply to
<me9

The prescription doesn't say which notation is being used. I assume that in minus-cylinder notation, the cylinder value always has a negative sign (but nobody will actually say that), and the value is to be subtracted from the sphere value when on the specified axis. Or maybe when at right angles to the specified axis. Who knows? The axis is numbered clockwise, or maybe anticlockwise depending on the patient's point of view or the optician's point of view. None of the websites I have seen explains EXACTLY what the rules are.

And optometrists, ophthalmologists and orthoptists tend to use different ways of specifying the prescription. Usually. Unless they are Australians. What a bloody mess. I've seen all this before - professionals using jargon to confuse their clients so they just pay up and don't dare to argue.Why do the pros use Latin instead of Right Eye and Left Eye?

Reply to
Matty F

I also have glasses around the house wherever I need to read. I have trained myself to take off my glasses when I stand up. When at work I have glasses in my pocket. It's a right pain putting them on and taking them off while wearing leather safety gloves that are covered in oil. If I walk around wearing the glasses I'm likely to fall in the pit which is exceedingly large and deep.

Reply to
Matty F

In tha last 40 years I've only broken one pair when I sat on them (couldn't find them til I sat down!), Some have worn out, with nosepieces falling off.

In the previous 20 years, with mainly glass lenses 3 pairs a year was good going! The first plastic lenses didn't last, they never said they were plastic 8-(

I don't think much of he current narrow lenses, as deep as the legs are wide, where's the peripheral vision to the sides? Also the previous fashion of super large lenses, which with short sight are exceedingly thick and heavy.

Mine every 12 months. but they forgot to remind me last time.

Mine didn't change significantly for years, just the fine tuning, which was often wrong. they did change once I was past 60.

The pair I am wearing atm are currently good up to about 12" (intermediate, for computer monitor at 800mm). In the morning I'm struggling with them at

800mm, my reading specs are better. The variation over the day is a big pain, but several older reading pairs fill the closer dead bands. My previous pair of distance glasses were weaker, but are better for morning driving, with my current pair being better in the evening.
Reply to
<me9

Someone I know had laser surgery on his eyes about 20 years ago. the first eye was fine but he had to give up driving, as the second job produced a view as if through a very scratched windscreen. Fortunately a second skim in Harley street at great expense was able to get rid of the scratches. I'd like to hacve my myopia (and astigmatism corrected, but with a 'lazy' eye, I can't risk the good one, until cataracts eventually mature enough to make it irrelevant.

Reply to
<me9

That seems to be true, I discussed it with the nice young lady conducting my penultinmate eye test, as she used minus cylinder. She said it depended on which instituion did the training. She had worked at a lab during university vacations and had got very used to transctibing, and decided it was easier using minus cylinder.

I think it starts at 12 o'clock. I would think it's clockwise, but is it different for each eye? I keep meaning to ask.

Yes, but there may also be an intermediate distance "add".

Reply to
<me9

I have a spreadsheet that has my past prescriptions, with auto conversion between. The axis changes by 90deg.

Reply to
<me9

I sometimes just take mine off, and sometimes I use my sons old pair (Similar astigmatism but no short sight) for close work. Other times (for /very/ close work, I use my mothers old pair of reading specs, about +4 on top of my similar amount of short sight. Almost like a microscope.

Reply to
<me9

Since I wear contact lenses my distance vision is normal which allows the use of those ready made reading specs, which come in various powers, up to about +5. Have several pairs of different strengths - for the computer screen, reading, and examining PCBs for faults etc. Cheaper and better than workshop things sold for the purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. An acquaintance went for a routine eye check and the opthamologist told him to see his doctor straight away. She'd seen signs of a brain tumour which was present with no other symptoms, and this early diagnosis allowed successful surgery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I once had some glasses made up in a place in the US, using my UK prescription (I broke my glasses immediately before leaving on business and didn't have any spares). When I presented the prescription to the pod person on the front desk, she went "Huh?" and got one of the techies out from the back room. He looked at it and said it was fine. I assume that was a similar difference to the one you describe.

Reply to
Huge

Yes, I did [only] once make the mistake of walking with +4 still on but it was like being dizzy so I didn't get far. +1.25 don't really have much effect.

Reply to
PeterC

You can make new nosepieces, I have found, from sections of flexible plastic tubing, cut to shape and stitched on with dental floss, which is pretty well indestructible. I think mine has now lasted longer than the original!

Spamlet

Just go back to the shop and ask for a new one.

Usually they will do this for free

tim

Reply to
tim....