OT Electric Shavers - mens views needed

I blame the parents. (insert smiley of choice here).

Reply to
Skipweasel

I reckon =A350 would keep me in Gillete GII razors for 50 years... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Or the Philips HQ7390. It's a bit more expensive but the head can be washed under running water. I have one of these and it works really well.

Reply to
Mark

Then the mirror is steamed up and I can't see to shave ;-)

Reply to
Mark

Well in todays "germ" paranoid and throw away culture that is not overly surprising.

Aye, I'm glad to say that my kids will talk to me about anything, even my daughter and The Curse.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wrote on Jan 12, 2011:

If saving money were the main concern, I suppose it would be even cheaper to grow a beard.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Philips. Always. I hate wet shaving and i'm on my 3rd Philips.

1st one got lost when I moved house. second got dropped whilst holiday. Over a balcony. onto concrete. 3rd one is 2 months old and better than any previous one i've had. Argos =A350. job done.

HTH

Reply to
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Since the cold at the end of November I have. It'll come off when the weather gets consistently warmer. Don't underestimate the insulation provided by a beard. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is that your name for her boyfriend? (insert smiley of choice here)

Reply to
Skipweasel

I've never felt the urge to shave using a mirror - I do it by feel.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I don't use my eyes to shave, I use my fingers - in the shower where it's nice and wet, warm and steamy :)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

The face has to be really DRY, though, else an electric shaver just drags and feels most uncomfortable. I have a 3-rotor Philishave that must be 25 years old and I've never changed the heads. It is practically useless, but still good enough for a quick whip-round to keep the beard at bay.

Then, when I'm going out (every few days) I'll have a wet shave with a Bib cheapo razor. Works fine!

MM

Reply to
MM

At least you know your clotting mechanism works, then!

MM

Reply to
MM

But beards are so unhygenic, yuk. All the crud that can end up in a beard, er, no thanks! Never had a beard (or a moustache).

MM

Reply to
MM

That is a very enlightened point of view. However, there are the "child protection" nutters out there who would consider such frank discussion between a father and his daughter a bit weird. I do wish there were more like you.

MM

Reply to
MM

I think what it is, is that the heat of me steamed face drys out the whiskers which stand on end, and the skin is lubricated which helps the shaver head glide. It's a much better cut when there has been, er, overgrowth.

If whiskers (for yes, I am a cat) and face are both to the equal amount of wetness, then the shaver drags and clogs and it takes me much longer to get a decent cut.

Reply to
Adrian C

I always shave in the shower - it's quite easy to do 99% of the job by touch alone, just using a mirror after to finish off in front of my ears. The steam generated by the shower really helps, and having the running water there's really useful for the rinse/flick parts :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

... and now, having read elsewhere in the thread, I see that you already do that. D'oh! :-)

J.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'll bet that you are sorry you asked the question now.

I think the posts have shown that we all have different requirements and life styles.

Personally, I never got on with a Phillishave, or wet shaving. The former never gave me a kissable shave and the latter, I tended to knick myself too many times. Modern wet razors are much better, but they can still bite the skin.

I think it might be advisable to speak to your father about the knowledge you have got from this ng and let him decide which way to jump on this matter. At his age, I would recommend some type of electric shaver, without blades that could knick his skin.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Philips (note that it's got only one "l") used to call their razors aimed at men "Philishave" but now they're simply describing them as "Philips."

Their rotary-head models have a reputation for being less irritating to sensitive skin, but with any different method of shaving it takes a few weeks to get used to.

Their cheaper models are now made in China (though not necessarily any the worse for that). More money buys models with better batteries and faster recharging and a clearer indication of how much charge is left

-- none of which are vital, though nice to have.

As you can see, there's a wide diversity of opinion as to what's best, but the Philips rotary head concept has survived for quite a number of decades -- albeit with considerable refinement added along the way.

It's also sold in most markets around the world, which is interesting, as there's quite a variation in what models are sold by which companies in different markets -- try shopping in Singapore, for example and the range can be quite different from what you would see in the UK. Again the user profile in the US is rather different from Europe.

You could do worse than try one of the Philips rotary-head models -- at least your dad won't be in any risk of cutting himself.

Reply to
John MacLeod