[OT] Ebay

Really, why would my bank details be in India ?

I've never done telephone banking, nor internet banking, nor any social networking sites.

On my bank statements, my bank branch telephone number is shown if I needed to call, which as yet, I never have.

regards

David

Reply to
David

Actually, I do not remember now [*], but I used to use them a lot before they requested I link my CC to a bank account.

[*] I have an inkling, but I'll PM you with that if it's OK

regards

David

Reply to
David

It's not always so great if the transactions are dodgy...

etc.

They ought to get the basics right really :-/

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Thanks to all whom responded.

I am encouraged that there does not appear to be major identity theft, scamming, phishing problems.

I have just checked this thread at Google Groups, and it appears that not all posts are displayed in my news reader (Mozilla Thunderbird), and my apologies to those that I could not see their responses.

I shall join the Ebay community, and will seek out guides for those (me) whom are inexperienced.

For those whom did not know, I have ASD and therefore interaction difficulties.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

In message , Alan wrote

That should read "without a problem"

Reply to
Alan

Ah. I got the impression from your original post you had little experience of Ebay.

Unless things have changed, i don't think you *have* to link to your bank account if you're happy just using your credit card. IIRC, I did so because I got a better deal in some way.

No real need. I was just curious if there was a pattern for 'bad' transactions on Ebay by the products bought. I mainly buy what could be described as technical stuff - tools, fixings, electronic components car parts and so on. Buying actual cars or other high value items might well be different. I did have a problem when I bought a new expensive phone - it turned out to be a fake. But I got my money back quickly. And bought from another supplier for a slightly higher price which was fine. But still a big saving over High Street prices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was the case (not sure if it still is) that the payments made without a linked CC were "echeque" style ones that took ten days to clear - hence a much longer delay before a merchant can ship your item.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you read the full conditions of your credit card? Etc? Many of these sort of things are written in lawyerbabble which almost certainly contain unfair conditions wouldn't stand up in court if challenged.

Not using PayPal because of these is simply cutting off your nose to spite your face. It is so convenient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh sorry, I have zero experience of Ebay, but have used PP many times. Not recently though.

I did try to buy something some months ago using PP, but they refused until I linked the CC.

^ This is what I am hoping, but I am concerned that I do not let my head run away with my wallet and buy too many things.... (need more discipline)

regards

David

Reply to
David

Because that's where the Bank's back office staff probably are.

You don't need to.

Really?

Reply to
Huge

Easily done...

That too, if you know the right place. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fine, subject to some key points.

Some goods are very risky...

Mobile phones - firstly the seller & product may be dubious, secondly the product may be inherently unreliable. I think many of Apple's goods have a 30% chance of failure within 3-4yrs which makes lifetime ownership very expensive. Those buying a "last years model good enough" may end up buying very little life & an expensive repair. Apple is a marketeer re older technology, made cheap, priced high, short lifecycle.

Laptops - firstly the definition of refurbished can vary from wipe- over with a cloth to simply ex-lease or ex-lease shelf spare, secondly realise some laptops that have very desireable high resolution display & nVidia or ATI graphics chipsets have inherent defects. These defects can be resolved by a new mainboard or gas reflow, but will re-occur due to design defect. That can mean the buyer can pick them up by the pallet for =A320, reflow them, sell them for =A3200, get 10% return which they reflow and still make a big lump of profit - but long term they are a millstone.

DVD/CD - the fake industry in these is large, consumers historically complicit

TV - this kind of good is vulnerable in shipping, few couriers want them, faults are "writeoff".

Key to remember the protection - and its limits. PayPal gives protection for 1 or 100 items at =A31 each - a credit card does not. PayPal gives no guaranteed protection where the seller has no money in the account, no account linked to it etc.

Ebay is great for 50 oddball things which would otherwise require travelling around 7 shops, trip to a nearby city, order from 4 online suppliers with min carriage charges. Just realise it is not the post office who deliver exceptionally long and unusual size and unusually cheap drill bits bent, I think the suppliers are deliberately selling the bent ones!

Ebay is not great for sellers - not like Yr 2000. Ebay & PayPal fees have climbed such that it is difficult to sell a genuine new item at the same price as online unless it is by stripping out the business overheads of bricks-n-mortar. That is why some "new" items are actually pallet returns or perhaps put together from pallet returns. Some goods are very high margin so can sell ok, others you have to arbitrage over re speed - same part on the slow from China is =A320, same part quicker from UK is =A330.

Ebay is worth having, but just choose where you buy carefully. Places like Toolstation can do oddball parts very cheap and places like Amazon give you good reviews.

A case of buyer beware when buying.

One other point forgotten about PayPal & Ebay is the online record of the transactions. You have an e-invoice for the purchases AND it is stored online on PayPal servers to be dragged up 9yrs later. However understand THIS, PayPal is NOT a bank and thus the loss of records online could be "your problem". Just very nice to have online proof of purchases in some situations (I buried a Part-P idiot over this by a trail of supplier + PayPal + C/Card receipt :-) PayPal ended a lot of nonsense instantly, you can not amend the invoice on their servers so that was that (re when a CU was changed).

Reply to
js.b1

Just out of interest, which bits don't you like? I'm not sure I found their T&Cs to be all that much worse than others I've agreed to (credit cards etc).

I don't like them particularly, but they are convenient.. and pretty good for buyers (but a sod for sellers - they always seem to side with the buyer in the case of dispute)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

That may be true for phones, but each of their Mac's I've bought has worked perfectly for years with no failures.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Thanks for passing on your knowledge.

Just been browsing around Ebay, firstly looking at the help pages...

At the registration help page, it offers a guide. I thought that this was some sort of talk through guide, but clicking on it just takes one back to a previous page. Not a good start.

Then went looking for other items of interest, such as a tow bar and Bosch multi-tool blades, only to find site slow and annoying.

I only have a limited patience 'band width' so to speak, and gave up for now.

Thanks again

regards

David

Reply to
David

I always found online banking an odd idea from the banking viewpoint...

The banking model was a) credit rating a posteri, give them all the credit rope to hang themselves with because they make more commission that way and idiot UK-USA politicians want easy credit. b) replace cash by plastic because people inherently can not check how much they have left in the same manner as an empty wallet; consumer spending before "plastic" was quite different. c) letting people know how much they have spent quickly (online) defeats the idea of getting them through unauthorised overdraft limits or spending as much as possible.

Best to keep a spreadsheet for C/Account & Credit Card which is updated either every evening or weekend as necessary. Waiting for the statement when people had signed up to PayPal was "who is PAYPAL

*WEGOTURMONEE"?

Again, PayPal is not a bank, and whilst it does keep online records for years there is little you can do if they loose them. This is very important for trademen & business people where HMRC suddenly see "PAYPAL Credit =A3743.25" and you suddenly can not print off proof of where the money came from. PayPal do NOT allow you to print off a PDF of the last 5yrs Notification-of-Payment-Received etc, as one Ebayer with 223,000 Ebay feedback found out. HMRC wanted the lot printing off, no idea what happened. Perhaps PayPal did run a cron job overnight to create weekly PDF for them. PayPal can supply a document showing the headline "received, withdrawn" on a per transaction basis - but it does not show what the items were which is of very little use in an audit particularly as years pass. Just a reminder, either keep the email notifications or print them off (so much for the paperless office... still you can use Ebay for consumables...).

Reply to
js.b1

I had no problem with instant payments without a linked bank account until I run up to the annual limit of £1900. To go over that I had to link a bank account (which I haven't).

For the items I went over the limit on I had to ring up the vendor and pay directly by credit card, who dispatched the items that day by courier, despite the fact I had only paid for 2nd class mail. They arrived the next morning when I wasn't expecting them for 3 days!

Reply to
<me9