OT; Comments?

Interested in your comments especially on the 'offers'.

Is there someone in your area?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

none near me, searching for all regions only shows 18 people across the whole country!

"gift" vouchers are only valid for 3 months, which seems extremely short

Reply to
Toby

Really quite hard working out which area I am in! East Midlands? London? South East? Very common failing of sites but the map is spectacularly bad.

I hate being force-fed a form as soon as I go to the site.

Doesn't seem to be a single person in the area.

Reply to
polygonum

Looks like a good idea in it's early stages. My city is covered and also has Check-a-Trade. Many people, especially women on their own, are terrified of employing anyone to do those small jobs and getting ripped off, so having a good track record is a vital element, but that of course takes time to build up. But as Geoff says, it has to be a start-up at some point.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

..., searching for all regions only shows 18 people across the

Did you notice the Canadian flag, top RH corner?

... making their money, This is not a public service, it's simply yet another web-based Wide Boy looking to make easy money.

Sites like this (and there are many, not just in DIY) force small tradesmen into joining them (and paying the reg fees) (I imagine! Haven't checked.) If you're not in the register you won't get noticed, and you're not "rated".

And which one should you register with? There are many. Maybe register with them all??

It's just a short-term phenomenon, and will die the death (a bit like Trip Advisor: every awful review will be met with a great review -- even if it has to be sent in by the reviewee himeslf!).

Thankfully for honest fair-dealing tradesmen, there's no substitute for word of mouth!

John (not in the unenviable position of being a self-employed tradesman)

Reply to
Another John

search box doesn't recognise postcodes, only one person in the whole of 'London'

why is there a Canadian flag on the top right corner?

scam

Reply to
djc

perhaps it's "London, Ontario, Canada" as opposed to "London, England"

Reply to
charles

No, it come up with one UK handyman somewhere in SW london.

Reply to
djc

In message , Another John writes

(Or able to recognise a windup when it stares you in the face)

Reply to
geoff

Pushed too hard and confusing (at least at this time in the morning). Seem to be generic as well. Selected North West as a region didn't get any listings back only the offer.

Searched on "Cumbria" got three back. clicked on the "profile" of one, minimal information about him just generic waffle.

Could be start-up, might go somewhere, wouldn't pay 'em any money...

A few years back I did stick my details onto a number of the established and well known listing sites for my line of work. Only the free listsings but some one looking doesn't know that. Did they bring in any work? The answer is a short word of two letters. Did get a few enquiries along the lines of:

"We have this great short short film project. It's a great script by who whas written the greatly accliamed and . We have director who has done the famous films , who thinks the script from has great potential to be a blockbuster. The lead role is going to be played by award winning actor with supporting actors who have had awards for . Unfortunately the budget is tight so we will only be able to pay for meals. But this is going to be such a great film that we a sure we will be able to sell it to [ Hollywood | BBC | ITV | all of them ]. As we said te budget is a bit tight but can you provide a full feature film sound kit, 6 radio mics, 24 walkie talkies, boom operator and assistant and when we sell the film we'll pay you?"

The short answer to that is: FOAD.

The long answer normally involves me explaining that Tesco take a dim view of me having a years worth of groceries for free on the promise that if I don't die (ever) I might pay them...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice