OT: car key barrel replacement RFID or what

shmbo's 12 year old amica has a problem with the ign key mechanism. The key will not turn at all in the lock. It's not the problem of the steering lock being stuck on but rather with the mechanism in the key "barrel" assembly. I've managed to get the thing off the car and given it a good clean. It seems to be wear in the one of the levers so I was thinking of taking it apart to see what can be done. The option being to buy a new assemby - a mere £10,000 from the dealer :-)

And now the problem: If I take the thing apart and cannot get it back together, the car's an ornament that cannot be moved. If I buy a new mechanism (and keys) and replace it in the car - afaik the car's electronics has to be told the new key code (?). And so how can I drive somewhere it to get it reprogrammed?

So how (basically) does this coding business work? Somehow the key has to tell the car "I'm here" - but there's no battery in the key. Or is it some kind of RFID system.

Any light on any of the above much appreciated - & hope what I've written is at least comprehensible. tia

Reply to
mike

Try a local locksmiths.

Reply to
ARW

Does it say anything in the handbook? With my Ford, you program new keys yourself using a procedure in the handbook. IIRC, the previous car had a red master key which was needed to program new keys (which worked as a regulsr key, but you were supposed to leave it at home somewhere safe). The current car doesn't need a master key.

Yes, they are mostly some kind of RFID or other near field communication like contactless credit cards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , mike writes

There are mobile auto locksmiths.

Basically, yes. The car sends out a radios signal (presumably when you turn the key in the ignition). The transponder in the key responds with it's code. The immobiliser is disabled if the code is correct.

One thought. I presume you could afix the transponder part of the old key in the car near the ignition somewhere, and then just use the a knew key to turn the ignition? Obviously would remove the security benefit of the immobiliser, but that might not be too much of a concern with a car of this age.

I also seem to remember seeing instructions on how to remove the transponder from one key and replace it in another for my old car (Mondeo)

Reply to
Chris French

or just keep the old key on the key ring too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not sure about Nissan, but on VAG cars, there's an RFID chip in the key and a pickup coil around the lock. With care, you can transplant the RFID chip from one key to another, IIRC.

As another poster has said, a mobile car locksmith may be your best option if that seems a bit risky.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yup, similar deal with SWMBOs Imprezza - A sequence involving lifting door handles and then turning the ignition on and off a certain number of times in a set period. It basically remembers the last 4 keys programmed.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah - that though occurred to me late last night! The car is worth very little so not bothered about the immob. Car's in good nick for its age and is very useful for about town so would like to keep it going. Out of interest I called the dealer to check the cost of a new key assembly:... £250 and £40 for "reprogramming" the new keys :-)

So, I stripped down the old one last night and some of the tumblers were sticking - I just took them out. Security isn't a problem here, and the key operates the lock now. So I'm in the process of (ahem) trying to get it back together now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
mike

In message , mike writes