replacement BMW key

Daughter has somehow damaged her BMW 1 series key. WHile the spare is fine she would like to replace the faulty one. Any recommendations?

Reply to
fred

A company called SILCA used to make clone keys at usefully lower cost than the OEM replacements. I think they are still going and supplied by independent auto electricians. Car makers are continually trying to make their electronic keys harder to clone but if the car in question is a few years young, there is a good chance there will be clones available. Car brand specific forums are a good source of info too.

I have a Ford and bought a used fob from ebay and programmed the car to accept that to open the doors whilst using the second immobiliser key to drive the vehicle. It does mean two items on the key ring one for for each function but a much cheaper option than a new composite key from Ford.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Do the electronics still work. I saw a firm that supplies key blanks with a case so the module can be swopped over.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I'd first ask EuroCarParts. Their central phone line (if it still exists) were very helpful to me in obtaining some BMW spares that they didn't stock at a much lower price than the main dealer. If you want, simply passed on (most) of a trade discount.

One of them I remember well - the central locking motor for the boot. Dealer price was near 70 quid. Under 40 from ECP. Came in BMW packaging.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

uk.rec.cars.maintenance or a BMW web forum might be better.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+