OT: car breakdown cover (again)

I pay, I think, £16/month through my bank for some manner of 'gold' account. Includes breakdown, phone insurance and travel insurance. Might be worthwhile.

Reply to
RJH

I've joined Green Flag for their basic service at about £20/year. I was minded to check after getting a puncture in Whitstable (first puncture for a good 25 years).

Reply to
Tim Streater

GEM seem to come top in Auto Express reviews, I wonder why they aren't included in the MSE review.

Reply to
<no_spam

I would not be without breakdown cover. It costs less than a days wage and guarantees that my van with it's tools will be brought back from wherever I am to a garage that does not charge me labour fees. It also covers me on the two cars I am insured to drive that do not have me listed on their breakdown cover.

Reply to
ARW

Agreed, less than a days pay for I think pretty much all the services the AA offer, recovery from where ever to my favorite garage (Manchester, Middlesbrough and 200 yds from home to near Hexham have been recent ones), hire car to keep me mobile and thus still able to work, hire car pickup/delivery can be at some silly hour of a Sunday morning. Cover for her indoors to the same level.

Wage slaves doing the commute in towns or urban areas can fall back onto public transport or (shock horror) shank'es pony. Here the latter would involve a 3 mile round trip walk and a 250' decent/ascent to the nearest shop for milk and bread.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's nothing!

Reply to
dennis

WTF?

Reply to
ARW

£ miles round trip is less than an hour.
Reply to
dennis

The 250' ascent slows one down a bit, 230' of it is in the last mile.

But that would only get bread and milk from the sub postoffice. The Co-op is a 5 mile round trip and 400' lower and but total ascent is higher as the route goes up and down a bit. The Spar is 80' lower again but about the same distance if you don't mind doing a 130' ascent in less than 1/4 mile, with your shopping. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sounds a normal shopping excursion for a Welsh valley resident. The

130' ascent seems a bit low, >250' was frequent, with a ascent of 100' in 250' at the end of the trip.
Reply to
Capitol

Not a problem if it Hovis bread.

Or f*ck that and spend less than a days wages on breakdown cover for a year:-)

Reply to
ARW