"Commenting on a complaint from a Mr Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North Westgas said, "We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed his house.""
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

That's priceless.
It would be lovely to find out how the explosion came about.
I wonder if he had a service contract with BG?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

After falling about, it occured to me to wonder how they read the meter! Do gas meters have black-box flight-recorder-like qualities? <g>
Roger
I don't know the source but the quote was on The News Quiz years ago. Another one like it told of a man who woke up to the smell of gas. He rushed downstairs and found he'd left the cooker on but unlit.
Relieved with averting a deadful accident, he sat down and lit a cigarette.
When he woke up, he was lying in his front garden, surrounded by the remains of his house.

been bought.

But how did they read the meter? Or was it an estimated reading? ("let's see, 3 bed house, total destruction, h.... that'll be X cubic metres....")
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Goven my experience of British Gas, they swept up the numerals from the exploded meter and arranged them into a pleasing order.
"Huge" wrote | Given my experience of British Gas, they swept up the numerals | from the exploded meter and arranged them into a pleasing order.
I had to fight with British Gas with a bill where the Present and Previous readings would have indicated that I was running a moderately-sized gas-fired power station or that the meter was going backwards.
This was when they decided they were going to put the downstairs neighbour's meter on my bill.
Owain