OT: but perhaps related to rogue CORGI fitters..!

Just picked this up, and had to share it:

"Commenting on a complaint from a Mr Arthur Purdey about a large gas bill, a spokesman for North Westgas said, "We agree it was rather high for the time of year. It's possible Mr Purdey has been charged for the gas used up during the explosion that destroyed his house.""

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's priceless.

It would be lovely to find out how the explosion came about.

I wonder if he had a service contract with BG?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

After falling about, it occured to me to wonder how they read the meter! Do gas meters have black-box flight-recorder-like qualities?

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Relieved with averting a deadful accident, he sat down and lit a cigarette.

When he woke up, he was lying in his front garden, surrounded by the remains of his house.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

fair enough,the gas has passed through the meter and therefore it has been bought.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

But how did they read the meter? Or was it an estimated reading? ("let's see, 3 bed house, total destruction, h.... that'll be X cubic metres....")

Reply to
Bob Eager

Goven my experience of British Gas, they swept up the numerals from the exploded meter and arranged them into a pleasing order.

Reply to
Huge

"Huge" wrote | Given my experience of British Gas, they swept up the numerals | from the exploded meter and arranged them into a pleasing order.

I had to fight with British Gas with a bill where the Present and Previous readings would have indicated that I was running a moderately-sized gas-fired power station or that the meter was going backwards.

This was when they decided they were going to put the downstairs neighbour's meter on my bill.

Owain

Reply to
Owain