OT: Broadband router self-disabling security

Slightly scary...

The other day I discovered that the settings on my router (Lynksys WRT54RT) had changed to their defaults (eg, SSID = "lynksys", and wifi security completely off and open to all comers.) Not sure how long it has been like that TBH; anyway I reset everything back to normal (WPA security) and changed the password, and bugger me today I find it's happened again!

There's no way anyone in my house is responsible, and I find it hard to believe that someone outside has hacked in to it - I'd have thought it more likely that it's developed a fault. Is this a 'normal' and plausible mode of failure? How worried should I be...?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I've hacked into many a router on the net.

Many customers leave them with remote admin enabled and default passwords.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The first wireless router I ever had was a Linksys WAG160n. It had good press reviews but was awful in use - and there is a mass of owner complaints on the 'net about that unit. I was constantly losing the connection - and the only way to get it back was to reboot the router which was a complete nuisance.

Since switching to Sky Broadband, and using their own provided router - I haven't had even the slightest problem.

Reply to
Ret.

In article , Lobster writes

Searching for WRT54 security reset problem gets a number of hits suggesting that a firmware upgrade might be in order.

"WB0LSR

01-19-2011, 09:18 PM Had this same issue with a bunch of WRT54G routers at the hospital where I work as an IT. A firmware update from Linksys solved the problem."

Ok, not your specific model but might be a lead.

Reply to
fred

Thanks for that. Reassuring to know that it's definitely a 'plausible' fault. But God, how *stupid* that the mfr lets the default settings have wifi enabled, with zero security... it was only by chance that I noticed I wasn't connected to my usual SSID and investigated.

Anyway - have just tried reflashing the firmware FWIW (it was already on the latest version, which hasn't changed in 4 years - it's not a new router!); and we'll see how it goes, but somehow I expect I'll be shopping shortly! What features do I need to look for in a wireless cable broadband router these days?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I agree. It's bad but used to be commonplace.

Does your router support dd-wrt? That might be worth a try.

Reply to
Mark

Its got Draytek writ on it;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Seperate devices for the wireless AP and the broadband connection. Do you really mean "cable" or ADSL? Cable to me is broadband over possibly coax along with "cable TV" rather than ADSL on a twisted pair.

Having seperate boxes means That each can be placed in the best location for them. ie the wireless AP in the best place to get a good RF signal through all the house and the broadband next to where the telephone line comes into the house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What he said. Much, much more useful than having it all in the same box.

Reply to
Huge

I must say I have two of these (Linksys WRT54GL) and they have been working perfectly for several years.

But I don't quite understand your complaint. If they reset the SSID and you are actually using WiFi, wouldn't think have become obvious immediately, as you would lose the connection?

Incidentally, one of mine is running dd-wrt , which is slightly better (more information, easier to change setup) than the official system on the other.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

So you can connect to it to configure it and set up then security. Yes, you could/should use a wired connection, but...

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

..and twice the power consumption.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As have mine until now :(

Well that's the thing, it didn't. I assume the 'reset' happened when nobody was connected, and that next time a laptop/blackberry etc tried to connect, it just did so automatically to the handily-available open network!

Hmm yes as a couple of folk have mentioned. I did once try with another router a couple of years back and somehow ended up bricking it, so am not overly keen!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yep, cable TV (Virgin Media).

I have a VM cable coming into the house which splits into two; one feeds the V+ tellybox, the other a standalone cable modem. That's connected to the router by a standard ethernet cable; it doesn't have a modem built in if that's what you mean; it's a combined ethernet switch/wireless access point; and I have it specifically positioned in what I believe is the optimum place for my house. I understand you still need a router suitable for cable TV broadband as opposed to BT-style broadband though.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Probably not and even if true it's worth every penny.

Reply to
Huge