OT Big increase in solar electricity anticipated

That's probably OK. Most sub-sea interconnectors are DC, and rely on some pretty massive electronics at each end to convert from AC to DC and back to AC. Some can only do it one way (early ones, I think). Most now are bidirectional. See

Chris Hogg

It was quoted from the Energy Secretary. Surely an Energy Secretary should have a rudimentary understanding of what he's looking after?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Damn, I was being ignorant, although probably not as ignorant as the article :-)

Directional audio quality ethernet cable anyone?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Might be a use for those old coal mines yet you mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

Surprising as it may be to you, PV panels work in Winter too.

Reply to
harryagain

Think "In The Wet" and the Very Pistol

Reply to
charles

They do - but the output is only a fraction of the systems rating, varying with weather conditions.

Reply to
george

This chap has been charting his PV panel output for a few years. Winter output is about 20% of summer.

Chris Hogg

I've seen it. If you read the article you will see he his saying the same as me. Extract from the article:

"The graph shows a lot of fluctuation from week to week, which just reflects the variability of our weather. On a day when the panels would be generating well over 2kW in the sun, they only generate a few hundred W when it is cloudy."

Reply to
george

20% of 2kW is 400W, well within the scope of 'a few hundred W'.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

You don't want to be down stream of dam when it bursts. At least you could have lot's of blocks of steel and lots of strings. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is no shame in that... its not like you have a choice.

Reply to
John Rumm

The second hand 2 kVA UPS I have could handle that, our base load is only 1 kW. The 500 AHr plus batteries to provide that for 24 hrs wouldn't be to bad to source. Keeping them charged on a daily basis would be a problem. Where does your mentioned system get that 24 kWhr from? 4 kW of Solar PV? Well if runs flat out for 6 hours a day, every day...

What about cooking? I do quite like to eat at least one hot meal a day. That generally has a peak load of over 5 kW and doubles the base load for about an hour.

And what about the 10 kW shower, or even the lowly 3kW immersion heater for 1.5 hours/day?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Total energy in to useful energy out I would not be at all surprised.

I can only assume you live on your own, in the dark... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Whereas demand in Winter is x times demand in summer where x is a very big number.

Reply to
bert

Drivel. It would serve no useful purpose. Unless you wer eprepared to wait hour and hours to charge the battery. Just carry your charge lead with you.

Or buy a plug in hybrid car.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, that's about right. But you get days of snow and thick cloud. Also day length is short with the sun low in the sky.

Reply to
harryagain

On really bad days you get less than a Kwh production. (From 4Kw array.)

On a good day in December 4-5Kwh is possible.

Reply to
harryagain

The remaining 3% is the waste. SFB Plus there is all the irradiated material at de-commisioning.

And when they do start to process the used fuel in any meanful way, the cost of nuclear electricity will rocket. (As if it isn't expensive enough at the moment). Meanwhile we have a processing plant largely stood idle at Sellafield and thousands of tons of used fuel/other waste in "storage". Expensive storage. And Sellafield was supposed to be a big commercial earner, processing fuel from all over the world. More nuclear lies and incompetence.

Reply to
harryagain

Or buy a BMW i3, which can be ordered with a... small generator in the boot.

Reply to
Adrian