OT: Bearings supplier sought, please

This from a friend:

Now one for you to ponder: I'm after a couple of bearings for my Howard Dragon rotavator - the ones that support the tine shaft. One bearing is completely shot (as in it's in two separate pieces), the other is OK, but I work on the principal of doing this job (semi) properly. The only markings are: England PF 135 30. It's 30mm internal bore, 72mm external dia, inner race 30mm wide, outer race 19mm wide, triple rubber sealed. I think it is what is known as an Agricultural Bearing (due to the two different race widths). I've trawled countless websites to try and track them down - but no luck.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
RJS

They don't seem to have a web site, but try giving Swan Bearings Ltd. in Preston a ring (there are business details on the web). Many years ago I used to work for a company who bought quite a few oddball bearings from them; I don't think we ever managed to catch them out.

Reply to
mick

In message , RJS writes

I use

Mercury Bearings Ltd - Bearings Stockists in Enfield EN3 4LE Classification: Line of Business: Miscellaneous Vehicle Repair Market Sector: Bearings Stockists Address: Headquarters

4 Redburn Industrial Estate Redburn Industrial Estate,Woodall Road Enfield Middlesex EN3 4LE Telephone: 020 8805 1919 Fax: 020 8805 9599 Web:
geoff

Assuming they're still in business: BSL (Bearing Services Limited) have branches all over the UK and I never managed to stump them with an oddball bearing. If they don't have one in the store, they'll identify it and get it. Take the old one in and from its identifying marks they can tell what it is - unless they're one of those you've tried already. If you live near an agricultural bearing/machinery stockist they'll likely know a bit about it.

Reply to
grimly4

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I have had Bad experiences with BSL

wrong parts, shoddy goods ...

Reply to
geoff

Bearing are bought in and are standard items. Go along to your local bearing shop with the old ones and they will sell you new ones or an equivalent other make. It's called service. Not available on the internet.

Reply to
harryagain

Still in business but calling itself Brammer again. Probably the best chance.

Reply to
mark

Hmm... could be they got too big. My experiences with them have always been good.

Reply to
grimly4

Last time I wanted bearings I looked up my nearest supplier in Yellow pages and phoned them up. They sourced the ones I wanted quickly and at a good price. They were car suspension strut ones NLA from the car maker. Price was OK too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does your friend have a local agricultural supply shop? My local one has all manner of bearings designed for agricultural use on their shelves.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

and massively overpriced.

Some places, when walking in off the street you get trade, or something near often without asking. BSL have a habit of demanding full price, always. Which in the case of bearings is stratospheric.

Asking for their best price brings it immediately down to 25% of the original asking price, but even that is > 3 x what it should be.

You wouldn't pay the 'list price' of say 8 quid a metre for 2.5 twin and earth (less 95% or more at every trade outlet) so why should BSL even waste everyones time trying to charge 200 quid plus for a bearing where I can buy the exact same one online, delivered next day for less than 25 quid?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Not my experience of BSL, ever. Mind you, it may be a recent thing, or simply when I dealt with the branches local to me, I knew the guys in there and they knew me, so wouldn't try it on.

Reply to
grimly4