OT: Arthritis in the knees

Davey posted

I expect it was fully subsidised by the EU.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

True, but it is a pretty routine job now. My wife has had both knees replaced, without problems at all.

Reply to
Davey

An important aspect is for her to lose weight if overweight. This is the main factor in buggering up knees and hip joints in the first place. If she gets an artificial joint, it'll be one of the things they'll want. The joint can fail otherwise.

Reply to
harry

What is remedy, anyway? Something I read, some time back, said; 'A third of people who decide to make an appointment with the doctor find them selves well enough not to bother attending within a short time of phoning'. (?)

I have suffered years of arthritis though, I have also been very fit and active too. My conditions were work related and, the real suffering came when I ceased the work, or, indeed activity.

I believe, in my case, that the activity caused an excess supply of materials for the heavy wear and, when I suddenly cease the activity, the materials continue to 'mend' the areas at the same rate they were wearing down.

The jointed areas would begin to 'outgrow' and begin to grind. 16-19 years of roofing brought many such problems. Particularly my right shoulder which, took the loads I carried up the ladder, swung about 180 degrees 500 times a day and, of course, swung an hammer countless times a day.

The pains began with the knees as I climbed the 2 flights of stair to my flat. At times having to haul myself up using the bannister. I realised very soon why this was happening and, as some have suggested in this thread, I adapted my regular training to cater for these joints.

The worse was to come when in 2010 I stopped dancing after 25 years. I had a spinal lock-up. Within 2 years I went from someone who could kick light bulbs out of ceilings to not being able to walk 100 yards. Very, ..very painful, indeed. Once again, I knew what was happening and now, near 5 years later I am good again. Watch out, light bulb!!

The sad story is for those such as the farmer, who, I would imagine, has a varied work style that you think would keep him healthy? (Hmm, I'm rethinking that as I imagine them carrying livestock up and down mountain sides.)

I would like to think there is a simple solution but, I hear there is many forms of arthritis? In my case, it is straight forward; if there is a part of a joint 'open', the ends of the bone will grow into it. It has to be ground back into operating shape. It helps, too, to rebalance the muscles. After all, the body 'listens' to what you ask of it and does what it can to make you the shape you ask of it. It can become very good at sitting down such that, standing is tiresome and uncomfortable.

My heart goes out to sufferers, it is damn painful.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Snip...

Theres basically the two types, Osteo and Inflammatory.

Former is the most common due to cartilage and bone wear and or rather the cartilage not being replaced as it ought.

Inflammatory as it implies is inflammation of the joints.

The idea of move it or loose it is a good one and applies to most all people with Osteo but it's the body wearing out a lot of the time just plain old ageing and some are ageing better or worse than others.

I've got duff hips and its makes bending down a real PITA its almost impossible to tie up shoe laces anymore apart from other misc joint pain and aches. Still the Hips operation can be done in stages owing to some other joint damage when I fell arse over head off a power pylon;!.

Other than that 800 Mg of Ibuprofen a day straightens most of it out and as long as the pills carry on working then all's as well as can be expected;)....

Thanks for your sympathies Ray:-)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Simplz. It's the last thing you took before you got better. hth

Reply to
AnthonyL