[OT] Airwatt and vacuum cleaner air movement

According to wikipedia, an airwatt is defined as

0.117354 * F * S, where F is the rate of air flow in ft3/m and S is the pressure in inches of water.

Given an open suction pipe with no restriction, what would be a ballpark volume of air per minute moved by a typical domestic vacuum cleaner?

Hundreds of cubic feet, or thousands?

The Other Mike

litres/second.

So, if my maths is right 95 cfm & 127 cfm respectively.

Why did you want to know AAMOI?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks, that's a lot lower than I was expecting especially when some computer type fans move a couple of hundred feet a minute albeit with a lower pressure drop. Plenty of vac suppliers seem to quote the airwatts but with no real indication of what the pressure or the cfm was.

I'm building a vacuum unit to extract honey bees from a wall cavity and trying to make it as gentle as possible so they survive the journey down the hose and into the collecting chamber.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Somehow, I don't think we would have guessed that one!

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes that caused a wry smile as my bees did that to new neighbours - they were not amused, but it was some time ago and the local authority did the clearing out then for free.

Having said that the information given is of value as I need to build a simple dust extractor system for my workshop, and did think that that was what the OP's posting was about.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I guessed as much :-)