OT accurate time checks?

I like Thunderbird 2. It very rarely lets a thread break. As in all the other cases where people have complained about broken threads, TB2 just keeps all the posts together.

TB 3 and later seem to be broken in subtle and not-so-subtle ways, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

It was suggested to be the postings via Google that used to mangle my threads up, but I think posts via Google are no more.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mike Tomlinson pretended :

Because the script makes much sense to use. It is much quicker than editing the reg and no chance of error.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without knowing *where* the digital component of the FM path is, how long the delay is, and whether it's compensated for.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Andy Burns :

I'm seeing just one thread, so chances are it is at your end.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

With reference to the speed of transmission of a purely analogue signal, no. But I doubt it much matters for setting your watch. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably not. Apart from GPS. But the FM pips are close enough.

If you want accurate time, use NTP and the internet. Or GPS

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yerss I seem to be on TB2.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've an alarm clock that does the same. It goes out by a few minutes (seen about 8 max.) occasionally. To make it worse, the hours and seconds are correct (obviously if it's out the hour will change according to the minutes shown), so it's believable. If it wobbled by an hour or two the error would be obvious, but a few minutes slow when there's a bus soon... Fortunately I'm never more than a glance away from a clock so I can check. I don't trust clocks - past performance is no guide...

Reply to
PeterC

Writing a whole VB script is quicker than changing a registry entry? And there's a much greater chance of error in the VB script.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks, perhaps I am somehow missing the original post, anyone have its msgid?

Reply to
Andy Burns

With frequency reduction to 60kHz you'll need a capacitor 11.1 times the original, on the basis that f1/f2 = sqr(C2/C1).

A 2.2x capacitance increase would take you to down to 134 kHz, where it would then cover the amateur band of 135.7-137.8kHz.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

Mark :

My approach would be to export the relevant part(s) of the registry and insert comments in the .reg file about how to edit it so as to achieve the desired effect. The resulting file can easily be distributed and re- used.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

You have that msgid, it's the first reference in your posting:

Reply to
Mike Barnes

'scuse me for butting in, hating windows and working with linux all the time...

...but aren't .reg files runaable from Explorer and the simplest way to set a registry entry?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sorry, that's not right. The MSF transmission doesn't contain a checksum; there are a few parity bits but no guarantee that the receiver will bother to check them, and statistically a 'false decode' is still not that unlikely. Of the many MSF-locked clocks in this house several (particularly the old Junghans ones) are prone to mis- set from time to time, and it's quite annoying.

In my MSF-decoding software (used in a number of BBC projects, and in MSFWIN) I check that the decoded time is consistent for three consecutive minutes, which reduces the likelihood of error to an acceptable level. But I very much doubt whether any cheap radio- controlled clocks or watches go to this trouble:

have got worse over the years with the relocation of MSF to Anthorn (reducing the signal strength for most people) and increasing amounts of interference. It's worthy of note that one of the most common PC display settings (1024 x 768 x 75 Hz) has a line-timebase frequency of exactly 60 kHz!

Richard (G4BAU).

Richard Russell

Turns out that I /don't/ have that message, though I can retrieve it by msgid from my normal server, presumably TB builds the references from those in the message being quoted?

Anyway, thanks it seems it is a local issue with my TB.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Tim Watts writes

Yes. (If you have admin rights.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or would have if we still had CRT monitors: as it is its hard to say what frequencies are in an LCD display.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Be the same rights as the VB script needs I assume.

Reply to
Tim Watts