Opening DVD cases

We had 3 DVDs for Christmas. They are all the same sort of manufacture. Under the selophane wrap is a plastic case secured by a red plastic device which holds the two halves of the DVD case together and also goes right through the base and prevents the DVD being removed, even when the case is open.

There are no instructions, so I tried to pull out the red plastic block, but ended up breaking it. The cover would then open but the DVD would not come out because what remained of the plastic went right through and still prevented the plastic button from being pressed.

When I gave up and cut the plastic strip, it came out and - armed with all the bits I thought I could get the next one apart without destroying it. But no.

I know I am not stupid, but what does it require? There is a strip of metal in the block I broke off and I am wondering if it is something that is pulled out magnetically, as there is also a spring loaded catch preventing it sliding out, which might deflect if subjected to a strong field. Should this have been taken off in the shop? I have fiddled with the second one for at least quarter of an hour and I still can't get it open. I shall lose my temper with it very shortly, if someone does not tell me the trick.

I didn't really want any hassle, but the kids and my wife are so used to me making everything look simple. I am making this look hard and I don't like it. Someone must have got the box with instructions!

Merry Christmas. George

Reply to
George

Sounds like the security cases they use in the shops. They take them out when you pay.

Did these fall off the back of a lorry? :-))

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you take them to the store they where ahem! bought from they'll remove the security tags with their respective tool. :-)

Reply to
George

You could hire a 6" diameter diamond hole saw. Right through the cover...no f***ing about.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

As others have said, these are probably the security tag they use in shops. A couple of DVDs I bought (Woolies I think) a few months ago still had them in when I got home. Instead of taking them back to the shop and grumping at them (which I serously considered as it tends to improve my mood) I just removed them myself. As you've found they're a right pain in the arse without the right tool.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Well, well, I did not think of that. My wife bought two in Tesco and my daughter who is as respectable as my wife probably got the one from her there too. If they have been selling these without removing the security tabs, I'll bet there are a lot of unhappy shoppers today. What puzzles me though is the fact that you have to get it out of the wrapper to get the device out, unless it pulls it through the cover.

There did not seem to be anything to cause an alarm on the way out of the store, either. Just a small chunk of metal. Having said that they did not alarm, anyway. My wife did say there were a lot of temporary staff there just before Christmas. An interesting exercise anyway. I'm glad it was not just me!

Thanks folk.

Reply to
George

I'm given to understand that the standard uk.d-i-y response to such questions is "an angle grinder".

Reply to
Huge

But you might be able to cause a bit of fun by walking back in with one of the tags in your pocket :-)

Reply to
Mike Clarke

One guy who was in the RFID business used to carry samples in his wallet, to show potential customers. Frequently going into stores the sample tags would set off an alarm .... finally he hit on the idea of just telling store security that he had a metal plate in his head from an injury! Another wore one of those 'ski-jackets' that include an RFID to improve chances of beng found in an avalanche! Even walking past the front door, without even entering, some stores would set off alarms!

Reply to
terry

I had this with a DVD from Asda. They unlocked one, but forgot the other.

What you need is a strong magnet. It goes behind the case right by the opening edge half way from top to bottom. That pulls down a small metal tab which allows the blade to be withdrawn.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Reminds me when my wife bought me 2 pairs of trousers from a "mill" outlet in Haslingdon. I didn't try them on they were just packed into a suitcase ready to go on holiday still in the stores carrier bag. When we arrived at the hotel and unpacked, both pairs were found to have a tag attached, not a little discrete tag, but those enormous "flying saucer" jobbies secured with a steel pin right through the garment. We considered ourselves lucky that we didn't set something off when going through airport security, or have them discovered during a search, of course I couldn't wear them, and then of course we had to bring them back.

Anyway when I got them home I tried to remove them and discovered the magnet required was very powerful indeed.

I had a stack of round magnets that I had collected from faulty microwave oven magnetrons, these were not up to the task. I also had a pair of head actuator magnets from an old hard drive these were very powerful indeed but their shape was wrong to concentrate the field in the right place. The solution was to use the HD magnets in conjunction with one of the magnetron magnets as a pole piece, this was just about strong enough to release the pin, but only after a lot of jingling about.

Reply to
Graham.

To rephrase one of Homer Simpson's famous quotes on donuts

"Angle Grinder. Is there anything they can't do?"

i.e.

Nail Polishing, Cleaning dishes, Scrubbin' kids clean...

Reply to
Adrian C

Ahh. I'm not a fan, so I didn't recognise the attribution.

Reply to
Huge

Secure file deletion, too.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I have an ultrasonic measuring device that sets off Tesco's alarm every time I have it in my pocket. When I walk into the store, the look on the face of the security staff's face is a picture :-)

It's about time I put it back in my pocket again ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Unless you're Drivel, when a hacksaw is the answer to every question

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I quite enjoy dropping un-cancelled security tags into other people's shopping. Those thick cardboard tags that Asda use on their clothing are ideal.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Kewl, how pikey can someone be that they give you shoplifted DVDs for Christmas?

Reply to
Steve Firth