One tiny connector required

Where can I buy *one* wire connector!? I'm stumped.

It's one of those that crimps onto a cooker ignition wire, for the grill specifically, and looks like a B from the end and is 3.5mm across. It slides onto a very small, flat, male connector but it has brokeded itself somehow. I can't think of any local shops which would sell one...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Can you solder the wire on the back of the clippy bit, or just jam it under one of the curvy bits? They're called Lucar connectors.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote

You probably mean spade/blade connectors or more correctly the female mating half. Example

They come in various sizes and are used on cars so a car accessory shop

Reply to
Alan

In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Go and ask you friendly local independent garage.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

What about Halfords - they sound like the small connectors often used for speakers?

Or failing that a 5A choc block, or soldering direct as Rob suggested.

Reply to
Gary Cavie

Thanks all. I'll be off to Halfords tomorrow to scrounge a Lucar connector.

I don't fancy soldering it - it's a little difficult to get to and to hold properly.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I'd say it's a smaller version of the 1/4" spade connector common on cars. They come in (male width) 6.3mm (1/4") 4.8mm, and 2.8mm - as well as larger sizes. So I'd guess yours is 2.8mm.

It's a size used for speakers in cars. Halfords may have a pack of assorted sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you can't find one in Halfords, etc, drop me an e-mail (observing spam trap) and I'll send you one. But really, to work properly without soldering, you need the correct crimping tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You're a good chap, Dave.

I *think* I have a crimping tool somewhere...

I'll nip down to Halfords later today.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

The cheeky buggers wanted £3 for four connectors in Halfords so I went to Mobile and Marine in Ramsgate where I got one for nowt. Nice chap.

Put it on, sounds like it's sparking, lit once then refused to light any more after that. Bloody thing. Why they had to design it so you can't actually see the electrode without a mirror and a torch is beyond me.

Going back later with a mirror and a torch!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Might be easier without the torch, if it's still making the sparking noise you might have some crud on the insulator around the electrode or you might have a cracked the insulator, have a look at the connector you just fitted as well, without the aid of a torch, and you might be able to see arcing where it shouldn't be.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

True enough. The earth part was too far from the electrode so I adjusted it and it worked for a while. Then the spark at the electrode stopped but I could still hear it sparking somewhere else! Sometimes it sparks, sometimes it doesn't, but it always *sounds* like it is.

It's a dedicated ignitor in the grill so I think it's arcing away somewhere else - probably behind the ker-nob. Arse.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot