immersion heater thermostat melt down

Recently a plumber changed our immersion heater and after being called

> back twice to rectify afailed thermostat he embarked on other work > nearer home and I ended up changing the thermostat myself.I have now > changed it three times and each time the same problem arose.even though > the thermostat is set to a low temperature the water overheats and the > power wire to the thermostat melts and eventually disconnects.I have > tried a heat resisting wire but this burns too as do the plastic top of > the thermostats.The fuse is 15amp and has not blown atall during these > traumas.The cylinder when connected gets very hot at the top and is > often quite cold below.I wonder if anyone can suggest something before > I purchase another thermostat .Thanking you ...Skilso

Thankyou to all contributors and I regret I was unable to read them and respond until now .....during this time a different type of thermostat has been fitted and appears to have solved the problem,it seems that the range of new thermostats which I used must have been inferior,So Whilst thanking the other contributors it looks as if John hit the jackpot. Many thanks to you all...... SKILSO

Reply to
skilso