Off-Thread replies...

Page 3 of 6
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:37:19 UTC, Mike Ring
How do you do?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

I'm a Gnu, with poo on me' shoe. Yes, I'm an Gnu and how do you do. :-))
Everyone join in now !!!!
What a wonderful fish are soles What a beautiful fish are soles A nicer fish, never seen on a dish Are Soles, Are Soles
Bob Eager wrote:

What's a surge protector? Is it something like flood defences?
Nick
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:51:25 +0100, Nick Nelson
A surge protector is a bit like the big dam that can be raised at the mouth of the Thames - every so often a big swell (tide) comes along which could flood parts of London, so they raise the dam to hold it back.
Your mains supply provides 240v average (actually probably about 235v average, but let's not get ties down in numbers).
That supply will frequently have spikes and transients coming down it. These spikes can have a lot of power within, and could do real damage to sensitive equipment. You can also have surges where the voltage rises for a perceptible time (usually not very long), say when the electricity company switches over from one generator to another.
Kettles, toasters and other domestic appliances have no problem with these surges. However stuff like cheapo computer equipment might not be so robust.
So you put a surge protector in the mains circuit to snuff out the surges. I don't rate the ones you buy in B&Q which are built into an extension block - I run my PCs on a UPS (uninteruptible power supply) which not only removes the spikes and surges but it protects against brownouts too - where the power disappears momentarily (like when your like suddenly go dim or out for a second).
The UPS is built to deal with the mess sent down by the supply companies.
Andrew
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:28:57 +0100, Andrew McKay

Given what I've seen at odd times, I'm not entirely convinced that /anything/ is built to deal with that! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

No it keeps suits clean.
-- Malc Wond'ring Aloud
Get me out of my tree to reply
Malc wrote:

I thought it was to stop SWMBO getting pregnant....
--
Cheers,

John.

Didn't you see those small rubber rings during your last visit to Anne Summers?
--
geoff

I'm getting seriously worried about this newsgroup. uk.d-i-y seems to have got its feeds mixed up somewhere with uk.fetish.take-me-im-yours. ;)
Andrew

If you blow in me ear
mike r

I just can't find the newsgroup to which you refer. :-)) LOL

Does that include those who are doing it themselves?
:-)
Paul
writes

What, being deviants?
--
geoff

Nick Nelson wrote:

More like a condom.

parish <parish_AT_ntlworld.com> wrote in

I'm sorry, but as a fully trained first aider, I cannot dispense any form of drugs. You'll have to ask in another thread :)
--
Danny Monaghan

To email me, put the LIGHT out!
Danny Monaghan wrote:

Not to worry, SWMBO is a nurse so I'll go and see her :-)

It's better to have loved a short, than never to have a loved a tall. :-))

I got the elbow because I was too short.
(Wasn't tall enough either)
Mike R

You wouldn't get very far using thread ...
--
geoff

I think you'll find the unfunny pun thread down that way ;-Y
--
fred