Odd use of iphones

In message , Johnny B Good writes

Going straight off at a tangent, watching TV progs via YouTube, some are odd. Hard to describe, but almost like a bright light is shining from the middle of the screen - as though the camera is pointed at the sun. It seems unlikely to be poor recording by the uploader, so is it something YouTube or the copyright holder does to discourage free viewing?

Reply to
News

Smeared lens?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , DerbyBorn writes

No, more than that. It appears on various episodes of various different series. Try this :

News

Never seen that before. Most odd. An artefact of transcoding, perhaps?

Reply to
Huge

No way that's an artefact, it's a deliberate effect ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Has it been recorded with the "free" version of some software and that effect is the watermark to encourage purchase of the full version?

Reply to
Chris B

Seen on this, but never noticed before .

But then I tend not to watch TV programmes on YT.

Have lots of links to TV playing web pages and as I am a Virginmedia customer also have access to their 'on demand and catch-up' page.

Reply to
soup

That sounds a reasonable guess. I have seen it on various episodes of, say, Morse, Lewis and Judge John Deed, and from various uploaders.

P.S. Embarrassed to say I've forgotten who recommended Judge John Deed, but have now watched and enjoyed several episodes.

Reply to
News