Silicone odd use

I want to lay down 2" deep silicone (yes, 2") & have outdated silicone. Is there something that'll help it set faster? No, it's not to seal a bath :)

Reply to
Animal

What type of silicon and what kind of volume are we talking about? If it no longer sets, or at least does not form a skin in 15-20 mins, you might as well dispose of it (say, if it's considerable amount, give it to these guys

, no affiliation) and get yourself a fresh batch in the required quality and use it all up.

What kind of application is it anyhow? Sounds like you may use these guys

and get yourself a (small) bucket of tin-cured silicone with hardener of something like that. Smooth-on has silicon for ALL KINDS of odd uses

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Keep it warm and humid ... but putting a 2" layer isn't the best, it'll cure a few mm/day

Reply to
Andy Burns

With me it's usually the other way round - I have old tubes of the stuff which have gone solid!

Actually, do you need the 2" of silicone to set, or is that what you want at the end? If the latter, is there any way of using old tubes of set silicone as a base, and a layer of unset silicone to adhere to them and whatever it is you want it to stick to? As far as I remember, unset silicone will stick well to set silicone.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Mix it with cornstarch to make "oogroo" -- google for the recipe... works only on the acetic acid kind, AFAIK. This will set a lot faster.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Oogoo. A new one on me, thanks.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Argh. I misplaced "r" from sugru -- "oogoo" ist the open-license free nondenominational version.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

let's indulge it...

a litre or 2, standard bath sealant

do they do international? And why, when it can go in the bin?

no

no

Reply to
Animal

It'll be useless if it doesn't set. Silicone doesn't stick to silicone unfortunately. I considered filling it with chunks of something else, but I think that would lead to break up in flexure. It will get a hard life.

Reply to
Animal

thankyou, that's what I was looking for.

Reply to
Animal