Odd use of iphones

I have noticed that despite TV and computer monitors having a "landscape format" screen and many photo subjects are suited to a lanscape format photo, a certain generation always seem to take "portrait format" pictures with their phones and tablets. You see it a lot on TV where phone "footage" (will that term ever be replaced) is used in a news report.

Any underlying reason that you know of? When I use my 8" tablet my default is usually landscape.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think that it is because normally the phone is used upright for photos of their pals etc so when a video is taken the phone is held 'upright' and as the default is portrait that's the way the videos are taken.

You could show them this :-

soup

soup wrote in news:8FE8y.485097$941.180316 @fx34.am4:

Fantastic. Thanks

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Even funnier when you shoot video in portrait format and then replay it on a TV!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Have you ever seem a picture in a gallery with that sort of aspect ratio?

I'd guess that it is simply easier to use the phone one handed like that. With my Samsung S5, it seems impossible to even pick it up without it doing something I don't want. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The other thing is that the resulting footage is likely to be viewed on the same or another mobile device anyway, so it doesn't really matter which format the video is in.

Though I don't think I agree with Davey's general assertion that a certain generation tends to always take portrait format (and having a teenage daughter and friends with teenage kids I know quite a few people in what I suspect is Davey's 'certain generation')

Reply to
Chris French

They hold the phone in portrait orientation when they use it as a phone and don't realise that it will still work if they hold it in landscape.

innit

It appears to mostly be because the phone is normally used in portrait mode and people just continue to use that when it make more sense to use landscape mode instead, without thinking.

While I do that myself with my 10" tablet, many don?t with the 7" and 8" tablets.

Reply to
Ranger

Not if it lasts as long as my previous Nokia N95. I'm on PAYG so have to buy my own phone. And wanted a half decent camera. Sadly, you don't seem to be able to find a basic phone with a good camera.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's down to user ignorance.

The phones software could be designed with viewfinder graphics that encourages the user to turn the phone 90deg. It seems an obvious enhancement to me, but I haven't seen it yet.

You wouldn't necessarily want a front facing camera to do that, as that is likley to be used as a videophone and portrait may well be appropriate.

I am surprised that by now, Youtube does not adopt a portrait viewport when footage is uploaded in that format.

Reply to
Graham.

I don't remember saying that.

Reply to
Davey

It was the OP, DerbyBorn who suggested that.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Sorry, getting things mixed up here.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Graham. writes

Nah, don't believe that.

I can't think of anyone I know who is likely to use their phone to take video who doesn't know that you can rotate the phone to take it in landscape format.

It might be habit, laziness, not thinking about it or whatever though.

Reply to
Chris French

Habit, laziness, ignorance. Call it what you like, it needs the same response, education.

I have seen two types of offender, the one who always films in portrait, I suppose that must be "habit", and the ones that make the same judgment about orientation that they would if they were taking a still photograph, without realising that the playback screen is likley to be fixed at landscape.

A friend of mine falls into this latter category, I leant him a large video camera to take on holiday, and he managed to turn it 90deg for half the footage he shot, mainly of, well, portraits.

Reply to
Graham.

3:4 portrait - quite often. 4:3 landscape - yes,also quite often.

But remembering that an artist working in oils had a complete choice of aspect ratio, and almost never went as far as 16:9, why did we pick it for our TV standard?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Vir Campestris wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

But it is the use of portrait format for a landscape subject or viewing medium that I find odd.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

That isn't the aspect ratio of a modern phone. Mine measures 112 x 62mm if you want to work it out - so more 'widescreen' than 16:9

Fairly sure I've seen paintings close enough to 16:9 - but not that aspect ratio used vertically.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"We" didn't pick it for "our TV Standard". It was chosen by the broadcasters to better match the Movie industry's attempt to "Offer A Better Movie Viewing Experience" than that upstart, johnny come lately, home theatre experience provide by the TV broadcasting industry in an attempt to revive flagging movie theatre ticket sales.

You might say that the "New" TV broadcasting "standard" is merely the result of a "Wideness War", echoing the infamous "Loudness Wars" with popular music, originally held in check by the limitations of analogue sound processing, but which got taken to new extremes with the advent of digital sound processing and the change of distribution media to digital formats, starting with digital CD audio.

If we must choose any one aspect ratio as "The Standard", then the most obvious one would be that based on the "Golden Ratio" (1.6180339887... - it's an irrational number) as used in the standard sheet paper size sequence, A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 and so on, where each successive Ax size can simply be created by cutting the paper in half across the longer axis making the cut side the new longer axis for the next A size so created.

The current widescreen standard based on HD 1080 displays (1920 by 1080) is significantly wider than the golden ratio being, as it is 1.777777 (which explains my own impression as to why such monitors always seem "A Bit Shit"(tm)).

Whatever aspect ratio is chosen as a standard for TV and computer monitor displays, it's *always* going to be a compromise when it comes to displaying motion picture presentations (dramas, documentaries and so on) or desktop representations of documents and graphs and so on. It just seems to me that one based on the Golden Ratio offers the least compromise across the whole gamut of aspect ratios in common use today.

The imperative to 'standardise' the AR of TV displays imposed by the limitations of an analogue broadcasting system no longer exists in the digital age of content distribution, of which TV broadcasting is but one small subset. Now that we have "True Black" display panel technology, I can foresee a canny TV set maker advertising their 'New' 'Golden Ratio' UHD TV sets as 'The Last Word In Display Technology' RSN. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

There's a simple solution to this problem. All the manufacturers of these devices have to do is default to landscape mode, displaying the 'viewfinder' at the top of the 'portrait orientated' screen whenever such orientation is detected in movie mode using the freed up space below the 'viewfinder' area to remind the 'k*****ad' that unless he's going for the 'fallen down drunk PoV', he needs to explicitly select 'Narrow Screen' mode or else rotate the phone into the proper landscape orientation. Simples! :-)

TBH, I'm surprised this hasn't already been done as an additional "Idiot Proofing Feature" of their *Really* 'Smart Phone' range. Aren't Apple already doing this???

Reply to
Johnny B Good