O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

It'd give you a nasty turn.

Reply to
PeterC

It's a consequence of their diet ...

Reply to
geoff

Its not 'accent'. Its correct and clear enunciation and pronunciation.

I've no objection to 'Gie's a wee dram' instead of 'Might I have a small scotch'

But not on national radio, or TV, when the aim is to reach the largest number of people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not talking about accent. Dav was, it seems. Its correct pronunciation and grammar, that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

whereas in scotland, its whales and wheels... ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I always thought that meant 'don't shag the sheep'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'ighly traditional, that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gardenrs question time always cracks me up

"...and the producer was joking"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A decade or two ago I was working around Germany. I got used to memorising street names, particularly the name of the street that the hotel was on so that if I got lost I could hop in a Taxi and get back to the right hotel - I'd found in the past that some cities have three or four hotels from the same chain (Holiday Inn etc).

And in Wiesbaden it happened, got lost on the far side of the Kurhaus from the hotel. I stopped someone and asked for directions - where to? - "Holiday Inn, Einbahnstraße."

Reply to
Steve Firth

What's the "correct" pronunciation of Castle, Grass, etc then? The old BBC RP would only have it one way, whereas there's at least two valid ways of saying those words. Accent is very pertinent to pronunciation.

Reply to
Clive George

In Holland I was surprised never to see a sign announcing my arrival at Doorgang Verkeer, despite following lots of signs pointing the way to it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Such is the way language evolves - there will come a time where their way is "correct" and the right way is archaic.

Reply to
John Rumm

And why do so many builders refer to length, width, and highth?

Reply to
John Rumm

and be called French ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

or using "itch" in place of "scratch"

Reply to
John Rumm

or

John Rumm

Like John Thaw in Morse. I could listen to him talking for quite a long time.

Like Kevin Whately, again in Morse. One has no accent, the other has a North East accent, but both enunciate very well.

So why do we have to put up with Johnathon Woss and that other Lancashire accented announcer on one of those police chase programms?

Woss can't be arsed to use the letter R and the other persistently uses the glottal stop instead of the letter T.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Not too far North though. I used to work with someone from that area and that was when I realised how good and clear they spoke. It was somewhere just above Edinburgh.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What standards are those?

Wow, such a sycophant. This one will make a good case study.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What are these standards and who makes them? Is it a BS?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel